Thread: Engine Coupler Replacement Help Needed

Ranz1
    Well My friend blew his engine coupler on his '89 Penn Yann 21 Tournament with the 4.3L and a Alpha 1 Drive. I purchased a kit with the a new shaft also.
    I have never done this before (im a jet guy). Does the motor have to come out or can i just pull the outdrive off? What involved in replacing the shaft from the outdrive?? Ranz1

Havasu47
    Drive comes off and the engine must come out. The alignment is critical. I recommend a qualified Mercruiser certified shop to do the work.

h2oski2fast
    If motor and drive are not aligned properly it will cause premature failure of the coupler again.

Ranz1
    I see the maintnace book sayes engine alighnment... Alignment of what?

h2oski2fast
    engine to drive.

Wild Horses
    1. If your handy and have the tools pull the motor and change it yourself.
    2. Then take it to a dealer before you reinstall the out drive and check alignment. (my service place will do this for free takes all of 1 1/2 minutes)
    3. If its good, on goes the outdrive and your done.
    4. If its off you can have them adjust it our adjust it there and recheck until its aligned.
    It's not that tough as I have done many in many different makes of boats. (as long as you have the tools) :hammer2:
    Will save you a few bucks that you can use for gas.
    Clint

Havasu47
    engine to drive.
    Engine coupler to Gimbal bearing. Not that difficult if you have a hoist and know the proper way to do it.

Ranz1
    So its kinda like the pinion angle on a trucks drive shaft and axle....
    I found this Alignment Tool (http://www.mercstuff.com/alignmenttool.htm) For $72.95 Why not.
    What is this jod worth at the dealer

Havasu47
    Free if the alignment is good and only needs checking. If not it depends on how far off it is and if anything needs to be modified to properly align it. Basically time and materials. Believe it or not some boats leave the mfg with alignment problems that need a lot of work to PROPERLY align it. The better the alignment the longer the coupler and gimbal bearing lasts. It should slip in and out with no effort.