Thread: Elec Fuel Pump Mounting

Blown509Liberator
    Re-powering my Checkmate 251GTX. Old 310hp 454 Broke a crank. Putting in a marinized 502 GenVI block with aluminum Edelbrock RPM heads (w/ the right valves) so I have to change to an Elec. Fuel pump. Just so happens that I have a marine Comp 140 from an old project. Looking for suggestions on where to mount it. I can put it low under the motor but this is deep in the bilge and subject to getting wet, but would be even with the bottom of the fuel tank. I could also mount up high next to the engine but then it will be above the fuel tank but safe from any bilge water. Your thoughts?

C.Fisher
    We are going threw this problem now on a 300 convincor with twin blown bbc's.
    All i can say is screw Mercruiser on the Sea Pump/Fuel Pump deal.
    Anyway we mounted two Barry Grant Hot Rod 220 pumps with return style regulators. The pumps are mounted under the back seat on the floor a couple inches from the fuel tank. The problem we have is keeping prime on the pumps. If the boat stays on the water there is no problem but if you trailer it where you are going up and down hills plus over bumps it will lose prime.
    We can not mount the pumps level with the bottom of the gas tanks because we would have to remove the motors to even mount them. Its a cluster ****! I dont think you will have that issue since yours is a single.
    If you are utilizing the Merc Sea Pump set-up you can use a aftermarket good mechanical pump BUT you will have to machine out the fuel pump lever arm out of an existing Merc Sea Pump/Fuel Pump and transfer it over to the the new aftermarket pump since Merc conviently decided to have there own pump arm design.
    I did not know about doing this until after I spoke with a BG rep who was into boats as well. We have changed the pick ups around a little and still have problems with prime. We may pick up some mechanical pumps and modify them. I will say when we are up and running we do not have fuel issuses at all, it will run consistent 7lbs.
    Maybe someone on here has been threw this as well and trade some more ideas. Have any questions just ask.

kevnmcd
    I am very interested in the location as well. I will be redoing my fuel delivery setup this winter and would like to know where is the best place to locate the elec. fuel pump.

Blown509Liberator
    I can mount it low with no problem. I am just not sure how long it will last when it is down next to my bilge pump. I dont get a lot of water in the bilge, but it does get wet.

blowngas
    why not use a small enderle or hilborn gas pump and belt drive it off the crank?

Blown509Liberator
    That would be nice but when you have a raw water pump, circulation pump, a power steering pump, and a Alt. all running off the front of the motor it may be more difficult than the Elec. to set up

C.Fisher
    That would be nice but when you have a raw water pump, circulation pump, a power steering pump, and a Alt. all running off the front of the motor it may be more difficult than the Elec. to set up
    Do you have the sea pump/fuel pump like this one (http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=2992) ?
    Problem is that elecrical pumps do not "pull" fuel as well as they "push fuel"
    I would assume that as long as you mounted the pump lower than the level of the fuel tank it would work. As far as the wiring and getting wet it, I would take some sealer and place it around the wires where they enter the pump. Otherwise go for it. Mounting it lower would solve the prrme issue since the gas would not be able to flow back into the tank.

SUI-CY-COLE DIMARCO
    mount it low as possible without it getting wet...otherwise youll have to compromise.....with a sandwich bag..j/k/..........or moving out of water ways.