Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More digital TV questions??

riverracerx
    So I got my digital cable installed. The picyure is beautiful. But.....
    How came my TV switches from 16:9 during a show to 4:3 during commercials? And some shows come in at 4:3.???????
    Now I have my TV set to FULL which automatically switches the 4:3 picture to 16:9, but it isn't doing it now? I was getting the full screen 16:9 before with analog, but now it keeps switching back and forth?? Is it the TV settings or the Digital cable?
    They also didn't give me a manual for the box and the controller is a piece of shit.
    Help.

goneboatin
    When you're watching an HD program, some are in 16:9 and some are in 4:3. The same goes with commercials.
    Ain't HD great? I can't wait until everything is in HD!

Boa1277
    Maybe this will help, now that you have a digital box does not mean all broadcasts are digital, alot of programs a still recorded analog like comercials for example. I imagine you are hooked up from the box to the TV with at least component cables(red,blue,green) or maybe DVI (looks like a computer cable) when you do this it bypasses any type of picture conversion like the one you were using with the analog hookup, which expands picture to fill complete screen. Ok hopefully that is not to confusing, since you are hooked up digitally whenever a program is being broadcast digitally,(or in Hi Definition) it is probably going to completely fill out the whole screen, I say probably because sometimes they filmed the movie in a different format like widescreen if this is the case you might have black lines at the top and bottom not on the sides. Good Luck and hopefully that helps.

riverracerx
    So because I am only connected via component that means the TV wont automatically format a 4:3 to 16:9 if that is the setting on the TV?

Boa1277
    No you cannot convert a digital connection(component or dvi) you can convert a analog connection (rca or coax cable) Good Luck

goneboatin
    On my TV, (a Panasonic with a built in HD converter), I'm just running thru the coax cable to the TV (I've got a cable card, so no more cable box). Any program on the HD channels is what it's being broadcasted in. For example if Vegas is being broadcast in 4:3 on HD, I can't change it on my TV. Even if the program is in 16:9, I still can't change any of the viewing perameters (sp) on HD broadcast, but I can make those changes on non-HD programs.
    On my cable, only a few channels are HD: CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, PBS (it's a differnt program that the other PBS station), ESPN (premium), one channel of HBO and one of Showtime. The cable outfit (Adelphia) say more HD channels are coming. Yeah, so is a democratic government to Iraq. I'm not holding my breath.

Boa1277
    Your box is built inside the television, so you run coax direct just like you run coax into a digital cable box, I am talking about after the box. You cannot convert a true digital signal (Hi Def) the only kind of signal you can convert is analog.

Boa1277
    On my TV, (a Panasonic with a built in HD converter), I'm just running thru the coax cable to the TV (I've got a cable card, so no more cable box). Any program on the HD channels is what it's being broadcasted in. For example if Vegas is being broadcast in 4:3 on HD, I can't change it on my TV. Even if the program is in 16:9, I still can't change any of the viewing perameters (sp) on HD broadcast, but I can make those changes on non-HD programs.
    On my cable, only a few channels are HD: CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, PBS (it's a differnt program that the other PBS station), ESPN (premium), one channel of HBO and one of Showtime. The cable outfit (Adelphia) say more HD channels are coming. Yeah, so is a democratic government to Iraq. I'm not holding my breath.
    What is a cable card I have never heard of one.

goneboatin
    What is a cable card I have never heard of one.
    Some of the newer non-CRT (tube) TVs have a card slot that is basicly a decoder for cable. It is provided by the cable company. This eliminates the need for a cable box, you just run the cable to the TV. It needs to be programmed by the cable companay, so I don't think you can bootleg the card. The downside is you lose the on-screen menus. Now I need to flip thru the channels to find out what is on instead of scrolling thru the program guides. And yes, I can get HD broadcasts this way.

Uplink
    90% of TV shows broadcast are still 4x3 and almost ALL the commercials are still 4X3. 16X9 originated shows are usually only newer, Prime time, and live sporting events. And MOST cable TV networks are STILLl 4x3. Broadcasters will "Piillar box" (black vertical curtains) a 4x3 show or commercial that is sent on an HD channel. Get used to constantly changing aspest ratio on your remote and pillar-boxing it yourself if you want the picture to look right. It will be a long time before everything originates 16x9 and the old re-runs will always remain 4x3.
    I still get a kick out of going to peoples houses that watch 4x3 shows on their new wide screen TV's. Instead of just hitting the "aspect" button, they prefer to watch people with egg shaped-streched heads.
    If you really want high resolution TRUE HD pictures, use a UHF antenna pointed at Mt. Wilson with your off-air (ATSC) tuner, and by-pass the cable company altogether.

Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast