Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 460 to 454 Conversion.

abraman1326
    I own a 21 Taylor that currently has a 460 in it. I spun a bearing the last trip out, and am looking to buy a 454 for it. A little more reliable, and easier to get parts for. What all will I have to do to make this conversion? I figure I'll need a new yoke for the Jacuzzi pump, and new motor mount positions. Please give me any suggestions you may have for the conversion. This is going to be a winter project, so I am in no hurry as of yet. I am also thinking of converting to a Berk, or dominator jet, and I figured I'd just buy it ready for the chevy match up. Is there a difference in the yoke between a chevy and Ford? I am really new to this engine swap, and any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance...
    BRA

OK ... I have made numerous conversions over the years ... mostly from Olds 455 to BBC ...
    My best advice ... buy an old POS boat ($1500 range) that has a BBC and pump in it already and steal all of the items you need ... and scrap the hull. By the time you rape the old one, sell your BBF stuff ... you'll end up saving a lot of $$$.
    You might have to travel to pick up the donor boat, and it'll most likely have an engine and pump that need to be gone through ... but you'll have all of the necessary parts to do the swap.
    This is from my past experiences ... I have found it much quicker and easier to do it like this ... I'm sure others will chime in w/ some good advice.
    Good Luck ...
    Brian

moneysucker
    Stripping another boat is the way to go. WIth the money you will spend in marine parts you will be way over what you thought. You can sell the motor and pump with the other hull as a basket case too for what you bought it for. Or sell the motor and pump seperately and junk the hull and still finish ahead.

Stripping another boat is the way to go. WIth the money you will spend in marine parts you will be way over what you thought. You can sell the motor and pump with the other hull as a basket case too for what you bought it for. Or sell the motor and pump seperately and junk the hull and still finish ahead.
    yup yup! What Cy said!

Just rebuild the Ford. They're every bit as reliable as a BBC when put together properly. Maybe more reliable.
    This one has four seasons of hard running on it (with nitrous) and still running strong. It ran for 20+ years prior to that as a stocker and probably would've run 20 more had I not wanted to go faster. When I pulled it apart, everything looked great.
    Don't get caught up in the "Gotta have a Chebby" hype. Your motor will work just fine.
    I don't pledge allegiance to any particular brand, and have owned all kindsa crap. Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Mercury etc.
    If anything I probably would've leaned towards a Chevy for the boat when I was looking to buy, but it just so happened to have a Ford in it. Couldn't be happier with it.
    http://www.homestead.com/jetboat/tunnelplumb.jpg

Captain no fun
    Those three all have valid input.
    I did the same conversion this year in my 18' Hondo/ Jacuzzi WJ. I thought the chev would be cheaper, and it would have been, had I not gotten carried away, as most of us clowns do. My Ford ran for a decade of abuse with no problems, just a stock 460, not CJ heads or anything special, just a nasty Engle Jet boat cam, sounded and ran great. 5000 RPM all day long. I hydraulic'd it and bent rods, and smashed piston lands, and said, hell I've got a great 396 in the corner, how much can it cost anyway?
    Well, apart came the '96, winds up it needs a crank. $1000.00
    Since it gets a crank, why not lose a little weight, and get aluminum heads too? $2000.00 ( Edelbrock 6055-R )
    Oh yeah, well put in total seal rings too, gaskets, stud kit, roller rockers, roller cam, Dart lifters, GOTTA have another tunnel ram,shit, the Ford 'ram won't fit, new square port tunnel ram, ah yeah, add two 660 center squirters, What? Ignition? Oh that's right, pick up a Mallory comp 9000, add an MSD 6AL, new wires, Shit, the stock oil pan won't fit in the same slot as the Ford. O.K. Hamburger pan...and pickup. Get the good one piece gasket too. What? It still won't fit. O.K. No sweat, just hack off 1" from the back of the pan, about 1" high. It will hit the foot of the WJ. Whew, are we there yet? No, don't forget the little area for the pick-up to fit into, so there's a little wiggie you have to build. I sure hope you have a T.I.G. welder! This is getting close right? I sure hope you have A) an understanding wife B) A strong stomach, cuz now it gets interesting.
    Oh, before I forget, you gotta buy new headers too. Bassett twisties in my case. So, I go to stick the engine in it's tiny little spot, and the spline bottoms out in the slip joint. Oh, did I forget to mention you'll nee new motor plates front and rear. Don't forget the gear reduction starter! Speaking of down low, get a Fluid damper too, hell, you're made of money aren't you? Where was I, cuz like you, I was in no hurry. I cut the spline off of the jet with a small pipe saw, and de-burr it. The spline fits now! I started in March, it's now Late May, as in the weekend of Memorial day. I run for 20 minutes, and the boat will not run more than 3000RPM. Maiden voyage. I pull the boat to shore, check the O'Berg filter, it's full of metal. Stop the weekend, go home early. Apparently, I didn't cut the shaft quite far enough. Missed it by, oh probably .060" Another crank. Ouch, there's another grand. The next weekend, I'm running along at 4000 RPM and that horrifying sound of valve to pistons meeting intimately. Well, lets pick-up another head, too late to stop now! New cam too, let's lose .100" 1 new piston and rings. O.K. still with me? The engine runs absolutly FLAWLESSLY! I'm enjoying the benifits of hard work, expensive parts, and perserverence! Yes, I dialed in the cam I was running along at 600RPM just before the interference problem, so I don't know what it was. Labor day weekend, zingin along, what's THAT noise? I lost the main bearing on the jet pump, the impellor is into the suction housing, so now that's another battle on the horizon, but hey, I'm in no hurry. I got all winter! Have fun, do it right. Pay attention to details. I will not bash Ford or Chev, if either one was so horrible, they'd be out of business by now!

Ralph Brunt
    that sh1ts funny but oh how so true building a mtr now or should i say still spending $$$$$$ not building yet and i'm staying with the ford good luck have fun stay with the ford ralph

FILUCKY
    Switching engine brands in a boat is a huge waste of money, in the end :hammerhea i'll you've done is switch the dist. from front to back.

dave186
    just fix the Ford, tons of guys on here run them without any problems. I TRIED to blow mine up last year since i knew i was gonna pretty much replace the whole thing and i couldnt. they arent any harder to get parts for if you know where to look and if you dont, just ask here!

460 WJ
    Keep the FORD! I run mine a 5500 rpm's all day long.. http://www2.***boat.com/image_center.../2817Motor.png

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast