Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I finally found the problem with my 460!

76 Sleekcraft
    If you have followed the post "Ford guys please help", you know that the 460 was blowing oil out of every orifice it had, mainly around the distributor.
    I took the engine apart last night and was surprised to what I found!
    On 4 of the 8 pistons, the ring gaps were perfectly lined up! No damn wonder it was pressurizing the crankcase.
    Upon careful inspection, we discovered that the engine had never been apart. Talking with the orig. owner confirmed this. He did not remember it blowing oil, because it sat for several years before I got it. Likely story. The rings were not stuck. There were no holes in the pistons,
    No broken skirts. Just 4 pistons with the rings in perfect alignment. Damn! you gotta hate it when that happens!
    Now its a rebuild, and while I'm at it, do the pump too. Lets see, now all I need is money, guess the WaveVenture's got to go! Any takers?

Blown 472
    I have had that happen to me, when you put new rings on space them using the (dare I say it) bbc ring spacing pattern, I have had better luck with that. Btw, your rings will walk around the piston and probably line up agian but with a rebuild and new tight rings should not make a diff with the correct ring end gap.

Since you are rebuilding the engine get the file-to-fit rings and set the end gaps yourself. I have found some "ready to install" rings with over .032" end gaps.

SUI-CY-COLE
    do they still make the 460 wth the distributor in the wrong end of the block?hahahahaha,,i agree with 058, file fit them,,much better!!spend the whole extra 40 minutes doing them you'll be happy with it,,,daily driver or race,it dont matter.file fit it per the instructions the ring manu. gives you.

76 Sleekcraft
    I plan to follow my GM rebuild procedure on the ford (ugh) Its the first 460 I've had. This is also the first engine I have ever had that the ring gaps were lined up. I figured that they were put in wrong from the factory.
    Who knows ........
    Gonna switch the timing, clean up the heads, and change the cam. \
    Anyone use the jetboat cam from lunatti(sp)?

SeaYaBye
    Use the Lunati or FoMoCo A-443 with a 429 timing gear set-up[advaces it about 8 degrees] Should work good! Glad you figured out the problem with your engine. Look at it this way...now you get to put it back together and know it's right! Good Luck T.R.C.

hack job
    isky makes a pretty good cam for a ford i belive its a mega 278 its pretty good for a mild application! and stock valve train! as for the rign gap iam with 58 do the gap your self with a ring file and what not . its better. gald it was some thing that you could spot and you didnt have to put it back toghter again WONDERING! wink

hack job
    oh and if you need that cam i happen to have one laying around iam pretty sure!

Brendella
    i HAVE A CLAY SMITH CAM ,SPRINGS ECT. AND SOME TRW FORGE .40 OVER DISHED PISTONS
    LET ME KNOW IF INTERRESTED

Fiat48
    Rings rotate. Think about it. Do you really believe that the ring gaps lining up caused that muich crankcase pressure?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast