Thread: Need help - possible rust in tanks

79Hawaiian
    I just looked at a used boat for sale. Looking down the fill spout I see a thick consistant gold coating on the bottom and sides of the tank. When I look into my tanks are shiny alumnium. They owner installed dual canister type fuel filters and said he had no problems with the tanks.
    My questions are:
    -If it is rust I would expect to see something rough and inconsistant. Could it be deposits from sitting gas? Is this harmful?
    -If the tanks do have schlack would I expect to have any problems considering dual filters?
    -Is there any way to clean them out without replacement?
    Thanks!

sleekcraft76
    sounds like old nasty gas to me. i had the same thing in my sleekcraft it looks like brown suger i could not find anything to clean this mess out.
    i had to end up cutting hand size holes in the tanks and clean them out with a socthbright pad and then weld the plugs back in ,
    pain in the ass but it was worth it to have clean fuel.

DUCKY
    Sound like varnish to me. You could remove the tanks, and let them soak with Berrymans B12 Chemtool. It's a powerful brand of carb cleaner, usually available at NAPA in One and Five Gallon Containers. If it doesn't come out with that stuff, it's not coming out and I wouldn't sweat it.

79Hawaiian
    I believe if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I am not going to be showing off the inside of the tanks and I don't care what they "look" like. I just don't want to buy this thing and then have to replace the tanks because the boat won't run.
    [ February 06, 2003, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: 79Hawaiian ]

DansBlown73Nordic
    I would bet $$$$$$$$$ if the guy installed two filters its been a problem.
    Now picture this you and the family are cruising on your favorite lake. Some big chunks of crap fall off the inside of the tank. Ut oh its time to get the paddle out again. eek!
    I would try muriatic acid. I use the stuff to clean all kinds of stuff. It is not super strong, but for most things it works great.

Infomaniac
    Stainless will not rust.
    Aluminum corrosion is white powder.
    I would say they are stained.

Schiada76
    I had the same problem in my old flat. It's from gas evaporting in the tank over the years (until they're dry). I used parts dip to clean them and it worked great. My tanks were ten gallon though and easy to remove. Don't use acid even Muriatic it will destroy them, I think it makes hydrogen gas too.

Schiada76
    oops double post
    [ February 09, 2003, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: BradP ]