Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTF? AZ Boat Registration Fee Increase?

goneboatin
    I just got my registration renewal from the Az fish and game deptartment. Last time my registration was $155 for 18 months including non resident fees. This year the fee is $255 for 12 months....WTF?
    When did the fee increase happen?

Essex29
    there was a thread a few months ago warning about this.....i did mine online then and renewed through 07 without any increase....still better than ca!

Kilrtoy
    Yep , this has been discussed for several months already, If you renewed prior to August 31 you paid the old. Still better than paying LUX tax in cali...

AZKC
    Our Game and Fish peeps want new trucks, we figure all the Cali boaters can help out with that. They actually lowered AZ resident fees by 40%

Essex29
    Still better than paying LUX tax in cali...
    that's for sure!

Jordy
    They actually lowered AZ resident fees by 40%
    You weren't supposed to say anything. That was a nice surprise though. What do you know of that gets cheaper every year.

Mohave Vice
    How about Nevada? Any info on "non-resident" registration?

RiverToysJas
    Still better than paying LUX tax in cali...
    Not so fast Kilr....
    1) There is not a Luxury Tax on boats, it's a Personal Property Tax for Boats and Aircraft.
    2) It's only better in Az if 1% of the value of your boat, according to the state of Ca., is more than the new out of state registration fees in Az.
    RTJas

Kilrtoy
    Yes Jason you are correct and it is better for new boat owners... I understand if the boat is older, i mean older, it would be cheaper in cali....My fees in cali would be around 1800 a year compared to az which is 255...

RiverToysJas
    So if your boat is worth less than 25K, it could be a wash. The other issue is, registering in Az doesn't automatically get you out of Property Tax in Ca. Technically, Ca still wants that money unless you also store the boat out of state and can prove it. It is toughest for people who are already registered here (Ca knows they have the boat), but switch to Az. Now they could have to pay both high registration (Ca boat registration is $5/year), and the PP tax. Lots to consider for some folks....
    RTJas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast