Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starter solenoid stuck on!!

Brooski
    Never had this happen before. Replaced my starter about a month ago, seems to work fine but havent had the boat back on the water. Gonna do a test fire today getting ready for next weekend. Turn the key, it starts to turn over, I let go of the key, and it keeps turning over. I cycle the key a few times, it keeps turning over, and over, and over..
    I disconnected the battery cable, which was getting mighty warm by the way.
    So I get out my handy dandy ohm meter, to find where the problem is. Come to find out it is the starter solenoid, stuck in start mode. Full connection from the battery terminal to the start terminal, without any voltage going to it.
    I replaced the solenoid, but has anyone else experienced this? Thought it was strange for a new one to do that.

Squirtin Thunder
    It must have got wet at some pint and the rust is causing it to stick !!!
    And yes it happend to me many years ago when I had a chevy, I know better now !!! j/k !!!!

Brooski
    It must have got wet at some pint and the rust is causing it to stick !!!
    And yes it happend to me many years ago when I had a chevy, I know better now !!! j/k !!!!
    I would have thought that, but it has never been wet. The boat has not been near water since I installed it, it has been sitting in the garage.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Just a bad solenoid. Who knows if it has developed some internal corrosion before you got it, maybe even before it went on a starter. Maybe someone left a spring out? :idea:

Brooski
    LMAO. No, didnt leave the spring out. Not a complete bumbling idiot, at least I dont think so.....Others may disagree.....
    No matter, its fixed now and ready to rock and roll.

Moneypitt
    If the starter was the slightest misaligned it will cause the drive to hang up, which keeps the solinoid pulled in. This will burn the copper contacts inside and cause the solinoid to stick. Also, a low, or weak battery will also cause the solinoid to burn, and stick. If the starter mounts to the block be sure to use the serrated type starter bolts. They help line things up properly..............MP

Brooski
    If the starter was the slightest misaligned it will cause the drive to hang up, which keeps the solinoid pulled in. This will burn the copper contacts inside and cause the solinoid to stick. Also, a low, or weak battery will also cause the solinoid to burn, and stick. If the starter mounts to the block be sure to use the serrated type starter bolts. They help line things up properly..............MP
    Thanks MP. Leave it to someone from Ventura County to hit the nail on the head. Battery was low, in fact, it just about quit cranking when it stuck. After I put a new solenoid on it, I examined the one I took off. Nothing wrong with it except for a burn spot on the inside. So I believe you are correct, the battery was so low it made it stick. Thanks for the input.

victorfb
    Roger, you need to stop sitting in the boat with the radio on and making motor sounds while sippin a cold one all afternoon. besides, your nieghbors are starting to think your strange. well ok they have allways thought that. :hammerhea

Duane HTP
    Yes, it is quite common for a selonid to stick. That is why a Ford type selonid is used on a lot of boats, even if it is a
    GM product. You use the ford selonid in the hot (+) battery cable to the starter. When the selonid on the starter stickes, the ford selonid will disconnect the power from the starter and it will quit spinning. It's a safety devise to keep from burning up something.

Brooski
    Yes, it is quite common for a selonid to stick. That is why a Ford type selonid is used on a lot of boats, even if it is a
    GM product. You use the ford selonid in the hot (+) battery cable to the starter. When the selonid on the starter stickes, the ford selonid will disconnect the power from the starter and it will quit spinning. It's a safety devise to keep from burning up something.
    Okay, I have a ford type solenoid, but it is only used to supply power to the start side of the Chevy starter. The battery cables are not connected thru it. So I should also run the battery cables thru the Ford Solenoid also? So when the Ford solenoid activates, power will be sent down the battery cable and start wire to the starter? I see, if the GM solenoid sticks, the Ford one cuts power anyway. No harm, no foul. Do I have this right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast