Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot Starboard Exhaust

MNLavey
    I have a 1999 454 Mag... We just put Eddie Marine Aluminum exhaust manifolds and stainless risers on it... We noticed that the starboard side gets a LOT hotter than the port side (port is cool-warm to the touch, starboard is almost always too hot to leave your hand on the riser)...
    I've checked all the hoses/passages and everything seems clear...
    Any ideas why this is happening???
    Thanks!
    Mike

formula93
    I have seen others say the same thing. There is better circulation to one side. Their fix was a hose clamp tightened up on the cool side hose to restrict flow to that side & forces more water to the "hot" side. I have never seen a real fix or cause for this but they say it works. The up side is it only costs $.99 for a clamp!! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif Good Luck

MNLavey
    Thanks Formula! We'll give that a try this weekend!!!

spectras only
    Lavey,one thing you should check is the lenght of the water supply hoses to the engine from the T .Make sure they're equal lenght

MNLavey
    I actually just called Eddie Marine... I talked to Ed (??) and he said he'd like us to send the riser back... He thinks during the welding process it might have gotten plugged on the top... He said we should be ok through the season, but he wanted to see it this fall...
    Maybe we'll try the hose clamp idea to see if we can't even it out a little anyway...
    Thanks again guys!
    Mike

Laveyman
    Hey MnLavey,
    I have the same engine with the Imco powerflows on it. I too have a very hot exhaust tip on the starboard side. Whenever I am doing my end of the day/weekend cleanup, the starboard exhaust tip is always completely caked with hard water deposits and the port side is fairly clean.

MNLavey
    Laveyman,
    Have you ever felt your risers while you were running (sorry, that's a pretty personal question!)?? Just curious if your starboard one is really hot...
    Thanks!
    Mike

diligaf
    I noticed the same thing this weekend. I noticed that the jet stream comming out the port side of the exhuast was greater than the one comming out the starboard side tip. And one is definitely running hotter than the other...
    7.4 carbed through hull exhaust only...

Laveyman
    A mighty damn personal question at that!!! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif But, no I haven't grabbed my risers, just noticed the major diference in hard water depositis on the starboard side.

flat broke
    MNLavey and anyone else with that problem,
    If your risers are getting hot enough to burn your hand, they may be getting hot enough to weaken your rubber exhaust hose. It's amazing how much water your pickup pump pulls in comparison to your bilge pump. Just a scary thought for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast