Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Opinions Needed....

wsuwrhr
    Well not everything works in theory because it happened. And yes the bore of the block.
    Theory? It didn't happen because of the pistons sticking.
    If you don't have any traces of aluminum on the bore, I will go down in flames saying the same thing. No way, no how. Not enough time to do that much damage.
    If you did have aluminum in the bore, you MIGHT be able to convince me that is what happened.
    I just showed these pictures to Mopar, she is now whining uncontrollably, and won't sit still.
    Bad news, bad news.
    Brian

wsuwrhr
    BTW,
    I have a set of VW rods about that same color, or worse, due to the rods being too tight. It had plenty of oil pressure, and the ONLY reason I tore the motor down is because it was getting a rod knock.
    I ran the shit out of that motor, I was drag racing it at Pomona when street legal drags were there. The day I tore it down, it still had 80 PSI at 8500.
    Two of the rod bearings had melted enough of the material off that they looked like "thrust bearings" I am not kidding. It still ran, and it still had oil pressure.
    I may still have them as a trophy as "what not to do" when building high HP VW's, or any other motor for that matter.
    Brian

Kindsvater Flat
    When I got done the rods had no less than .0025 with a side clearance around .018-.020, main clearance was set the same. I know for sure that it wasn't a tight rod.
    This is #7 and #8 rod, same journal. I even took the air hose tonight to make sure the passage was clear... it was.
    http://www.schoutenranch.com/miscboa...ized/merge.jpg

wsuwrhr
    When I got done the rods had no less than .0025 with a side clearance around .018-.020, main clearance was set the same. I know for sure that it wasn't a tight rod.
    This is #7 and #8 rod, same journal. I even took the air hose tonight to make sure the passage was clear... it was.
    http://www.schoutenranch.com/miscboa...ized/merge.jpg
    Nothing wrong with that, not that it really matters at this point, but I think the mains should be looser, .003-.004
    Brian

wsuwrhr
    Bedtime for me,
    Perplexing considering I didn't see it go together, and I can't see it now.
    I am going to sleep on this one and get back to you later on "today"
    Maybe I can help out, maybe not.
    Brian

Squirtin Thunder
    After reading all of this I say it is not the rod bearing clearance its the flippin Scat Crank. Similar thing happend to toddnjuzz with his Scat crank engine. I have also had this happen with a Scat crank SBC years ago. If you just were to replace the crank and bad rods most likely it will happen again if you use Scat. If you replace the crank with a good Eagle unit and replace the bad rods, I would bet you will be fine !!! It seems the Scat stuff swells with heat. I don't know shit just my $ .02 :chi:

MikeF
    After reading all of this I say it is not the rod bearing clearance its the flippin Scat Crank.
    KF never said it was a scat crank.

Kindsvater Flat
    Factory steel crank.

superdave013
    I think it's Karma because K-flat likes to pick on The K Boat King. The King prolly had a vodoo mopar engine and was sticking pins and needles in it when K flat was at the lake that day.

haulina29
    How much boost ? What was your timing ?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast