Thread: RIght location to ask?

azsyndicate
    Is this the correct board to ask questions about my boat engine? It is not a jet boat.
    I have a 5.0 Volvo with EFI. The damn boat backfires when running at full throttle. It also has little to no hull shot was trying I am trying to wake board. My boat is a 19' Chaparral 1999. Any suggestions?

GasTurbine
    Originally posted by azsyndicate:
    Is this the correct board to ask questions about my boat engine? It is not a jet boat.
    I have a 5.0 Volvo with EFI. The damn boat backfires when running at full throttle. It also has little to no hull shot was trying I am trying to wake board. My boat is a 19' Chaparral 1999. Any suggestions?
    No...this is the right place...
    Heres what you should look at...
    1. Timming
    2. Mechanical advance
    3. Too lean
    4. Burnt and/or out of adjustment valve
    Good luck.

wsm9808
    is it a ramdom single backfire or several in rapid succesion sorta sounding like a machine gun?

stressedout
    Unfortunatly theres not much you can check without the proper diagnostic equipment. EFI engines are controlled by electronics. You can check the basics, spark plugs,plug wires and I would replace the fuel filter. EFI's require higher constant fuel pressure.Check wiring connections. Do not unhook any wires with the key on.

azsyndicate
    Thanks for the reply's!
    The backfires are random. We will be running at full throttle and then, BAM, and the boat hesitates a bit.
    I called to see about getting it serviced at a local shop (Mesa, AZ) and I was told I would have to leave it there for 4 weeks! WTF that is almost 1/3 or 1/4 of the main boating time.