Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pump questions

tahitijet
    Ok i'm going to send my impeller to get it detailed.. in the mean time i was wondering if someone could tell me what the impeller to wear ring clearance should be? how exactly to check it? And how to measure the impeller for the wear ring size?
    also whats the differance between shouldered and standard wear ring? I was thinking of getting an ultimate wear ring since the lakes around here are pretty clean and we only run the river once maybee 2 times a year. Anyone have any input?
    thanks

Red Horse
    You want to get the wear ring and impeller machined to each other. Not sure of the clearance, but they need to be done as a matched set.

Best thing to do is pull the wear ring out, and send it in with the impeller, as RED HORSE said, and go from there. Just ask for a wear ring liner and a shim kit for the impeller, when your components get shipped back. Have fun...
    sleek

El Prosecutor
    Just ask for a wear ring liner and a shim kit for the impeller
    sleek
    What you mean: "shim kit"? Sounds like some kind of Korean food. :yuk:
    Seriously though, I am getting ready to order a complete rebuild kit with a new impeller and wear ring, and this is something I haven't heard about.
    And for all of you who slow down at the scene of an accident, see picture of my old impeller attached. .. (warning: graphic! :skull: )

Ken F
    I'd suggest calling Duane at HTP about the Ultimate wear ring!
    Not just cheerleading here, but the hole-shot is amazing after installing one.
    Ken F.

Squirtin Thunder
    Ok i'm going to send my impeller to get it detailed.. in the mean time i was wondering if someone could tell me what the impeller to wear ring clearance should be? how exactly to check it? And how to measure the impeller for the wear ring size?
    also whats the differance between shouldered and standard wear ring? I was thinking of getting an ultimate wear ring since the lakes around here are pretty clean and we only run the river once maybee 2 times a year. Anyone have any input?
    thanks
    If you look at the pic below, the thrust bearing went south and the impeller powered its way into the suction housing. If there was a shouldered wear ring you have some protection for the suction housing. Some people don't like the shoulder wear ring because of the suction to wear ring space, left unatended to, it can cause excess cavatation. One other good point to the shouldered wear ring is you can tighten up the thrust clearance. Most of the old Berk pump had around .060 - .120 thrust clearance. Some builders like around .010. I step the pump up according to the person that owns the pump and there habbits. As far as impeller to wear ring clearance you really want to be in the .015 -.030 range for an eficiant pump. This is done by using calipers on the outside leading edge of the impeller. I have not tried the Ultimate Wear Ring yet so I can not coment except that it is plastic and leaves you no protection for the suction housing in the event of a thrust bearing failure.
    http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attac...chmentid=10351

What you mean: "shim kit"? Sounds like some kind of Korean food. :yuk:
    Seriously though, I am getting ready to order a complete rebuild kit with a new impeller and wear ring, and this is something I haven't heard about.
    And for all of you who slow down at the scene of an accident, see picture of my old impeller attached. .. (warning: graphic! :skull: )
    Wow looks like your impeller went on a journey
    The shims are just that, shim washers for clearancing impeller to the wearring, they sit on the impeller shaft against the front edge of the impeller. They help set the clearance on the front edge of a shouldered wearring. I think they come in overhaul kits too. I don't buy the whole kit myself, just the parts I need.
    sleek

Squirtin Thunder
    Most of the old Berk pump had around .060 - .120 thrust clearance. Some builders like around .010. I step the pump up according to the person that owns the pump and there habbits.
    The shims are just that, shim washers for clearancing impeller to the wearring, they sit on the impeller shaft against the front edge of the impeller. They help set the clearance on the front edge of a shouldered wearring. I think they come in overhaul kits too. I don't buy the whole kit myself, just the parts I need.
    sleek
    Bereley found that .120 was a good # for ditch pumps. When you have a stock pump the shouldered wear ring will help tighten this up without cutting the shaft. Most of the time you have to shim with a shoulered wear ring. Another benifit is it gets the impeller closer to the bowl vains and this helps the pump be more eficiant kind of like using a stuffer. Some stuffers will not fit because of the shouldered wear ring and require machine work.
    The shims are extra, and do not come in the kits.

El Prosecutor
    [QUOTE=Squirtin Thunder]If you look at the pic below, the thrust bearing went south and the impeller powered its way into the suction housing. QUOTE]
    That is no joke - see pic of thrust bearing (attached). . .

Rondane
    When you have a stock pump the shouldered wear ring will help tighten this up without cutting the shaft. Most of the time you have to shim with a shoulered wear ring. Another benifit is it gets the impeller closer to the bowl vains and this helps the pump be more eficiant kind of like using a stuffer. Some stuffers will not fit because of the shouldered wear ring and require machine work.
    The shims are extra, and do not come in the kits.
    the couple places i talked with in my area include shims in the new rebuild kits they sell. I can definately see the advantage to using a shouldered wear ring over a non shouldered one. They seal the impeller on 3 sides instead of 2 as per design i am told. With an impeller like that one, is there an advantage of using a plastic wear ring? Seems like a potential headache waiting to happen no? I would think you'd want a harder material like brass that would take the brunt of everything as to not take your impeller out like the one above or even suction out in the event of bearing failure. Do the job once and forget about it. Just my .02.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast