Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pump questions

Ken F
    First, they are not "plastic" wear rings, they are made of a very hard material, almost like a super hard nylon (would be my best description)
    If your impeller is set up correctly, you need not worry about an additional wear surface. It is my understanding that these seal much better than a metal one because they are able to flex just a bit and seal around your impeller better than metal. This is my understanding anyway, all I know is that they give you a tremendous boost on your hole-shot!
    I've had one in both of my boats over the last 7 years, and have seen no wear at all.
    Looking at this in reverse, I'd much rather have the impeller up against nylon than brass if things did get out of sinc. Personally would rather buy a wearring than an impeller.
    Ken F

Squirtin Thunder
    First, they are not "plastic" wear rings, they are made of a very hard material, almost like a super hard nylon (would be my best description)
    If your impeller is set up correctly, you need not worry about an addirional wear surface. It is my understanding that these seal much better than a metal one because they are able to flex just a bit and seal around your impeller better than metal. This is my understanding anyway, all I know is that they give you a tremendous boost on your hole-shot!
    I've had one in both of my boats over the last 7 years, and have seen no wear at all.
    Looking at this in reverse, I'd much rather have the impeller up against nylon than bronze if things did get out of sinc. Personally would rather buy a wearring than an impeller.
    Ken F
    Ken,
    First off Happy New Year. Your hole shot comes from your BBF. Yes the plastic/nylon wear ring sealer much better because of the way you set the pump up. I believe it is .000 thrust clearance. Now if a thrust bearing goes bad the nylon/plastic wear ring will not hold it back from destoying the suction housing. The plasic/nylon wear rings have there place.

Duane HTP
    There is NO Plastic content in the Ultimate Wear Ring. That is wrong information. Some of the other wear ring suppliers use it, we don't. Ours is made of an upper echelon urethane compound, (a type of rubber), that has been run through an anille process. We hold a patent on both the material and the process. Plastic has a pretty high coffecient of friction to water compared to our product. One of the good properties of our urethane product is that it is very resistant to abrasion compared to metal. No offense, just trying to clearify.
    http://www.hi-techperformance.com/im...er_DPS3162.jpg

Ken F
    Happy new year to you too Jim!!!
    Your hole shot comes from your BBF.
    You know this is in direct contradiction to what Duane keeps telling me.
    Partly from the BBf, but the wear-rings DO make a hell of a difference.
    On the old Omega, I couldnt believe the difference when we switched it from Brass to Ultimate wear-ring.
    Duane has proven this also on the clocks. Try one as a test bud....you will be impressed! I've seen him give them to two different racers at two different drags, and both have come back raving about it. He always carries a few to the races just in case someone needs a wear ring.
    Ken F

Squirtin Thunder
    There is NO Plastic content in the Ultimate Wear Ring. That is wrong information. Some of the other wear ring suppliers use it, we don't. Ours is made of an upper echelon urethane compound, (a type of rubber), that has been run through an anille process. We hold a patent on both the material and the process. Plastic has a pretty high coffecient of friction to water compared to our product. One of the good properties of our urethane product is that it is very resistant to abrasion compared to metal. No offense, just trying to clearify.
    Happy New Year Duane !!!
    Duanne send on out and I will test it and if it works as stated, I will run your decal on the boat if not I will send it back to you.

Duane HTP
    Read your PM

wet77
    I have installed HTP ultimate wear rings in three boats with great success and in my own boat as well.
    I run the river and am always sucking sand leaving the sandbar , I pulled the pump apart this fall and the wear ring was in brand new shape!
    I can also from a idle slam the gas to the floor with 5 adults in my 21' daytona and not unload the pump!
    Ultimate Wear rings Rock!!

Rondane
    Partly from the BBf, but the wear-rings DO make a hell of a difference.
    On the old Omega, I couldnt believe the difference when we switched it from Brass to Ultimate wear-ring.
    Ken F
    Was your pump in need of a rebuild at the time? If you clearance was way out of whack and everything was worn of course your going to notice a "hell of difference". I can see if you want to pull your pump apart all the time as in race conditions but how will it stand up to the test of time...if there is any difference at all? Did you pick up speed? How many times in 7 years have you had to pull your pumps apart and how many hours are on them? I'm in the water 5 times a week when the weather is nice here and on my days off. If you drive you ride off the trailer to the beach all day and then back your not gettin much time for any kind or wear. Are these wear ring cheaper than metal or something? I looked but could find a price. try to save money when you can. I would think using the brass over urathane or plastic is just piece of mind in the long run for protection of further damage if your thrust bearing goes, especially in the case of the impeller in the picture. That's like a hot knife thru butter, bam your done. Just curious fellas.

Most bearing failures are a result of poor maintance, and / or water contamination. Your suposed to be able to hear a bearring going south on you, but is probly not the case, for an OT type boat. I have upgraded to the Dominator style pre-load bearing assembly, it's a single row bearing, instead of the double roller. It's supposed to run cooler, with less friction, and great for long endurance runs. I know there is much less grease, getting slung after it's serviced. This here is what I run.....
    Sleek
    http://americanturbine.com/images/pr...hp/bearing.jpg

Ken F
    >Was your pump in need of a rebuild at the time? If you clearance was way out of whack and everything was worn of course your going to notice a "hell of difference". <
    No, it was just rebuilt within 4 months of changing wear rings.
    >I can see if you want to pull your pump apart all the time as in race conditions but how will it stand up to the test of time...if there is any difference at all? <
    They stand the test of time very well, including gravel & rocks from personal experience.
    >Did you pick up speed?<
    This I can't honestly answer as I did other things right about the same time also, and it has been three or four years ago on my old boat.
    > How many times in 7 years have you had to pull your pumps apart and how many hours are on them? <
    Actually there are about 14 or 15 years of Jets under my belt, and I've never HAD to pull a pump apart. I've done upgrades, and a setback, then bought a new pump for the new boat which was pulled apart before insatllation to install an Ultimate wear ring..
    >I'm in the water 5 times a week when the weather is nice here and on my days off. If you drive you ride off the trailer to the beach all day and then back your not gettin much time for any kind or wear. Are these wear ring cheaper than metal or something? I looked but could find a price. try to save money when you can. I would think using the brass over urathane or plastic is just piece of mind in the long run for protection of further damage if your thrust bearing goes, especially in the case of the impeller in the picture. That's like a hot knife thru butter, bam your done. Just curious fellas.<
    I can't match the 5 day a week thing, but I do put a lot of use on my boat.
    I live 30 minutes from Tablerock, so many times after work in the summer, I'll tow down for 3-4 hours or more in the evening, and almost every weekend. I also travel long distances on the lake, oftentimes down into Arkansas from Missouri, so it gets quite a lot of runtime. I put in 2-25 gal. tanks to facilitate this.
    I've noticed no noticible wear on my wearring, and have sucked up gravel on a couple of occasions accidently. Each time I've checked the ring, and there is onlly one faint scratch in it.
    I guess that it simply boiils down to whatever you are comfortable with. People are naturally resistant to change, that's one of our qualities as humans!! LOL
    If you are more comfortable with Brass, or you feel it is safer, then by all means run one.
    I was just throwing out my experience with them, which has been very favorable.
    Happy new year!
    Ken F

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast