Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: pump questions

SmokinLowriderSS
    The Ultimate ring in my Taylor dates from 1989, and is still sealing good. When I rebuilt it was after a day of tubing in Cheeney when we spent too much time in too shallow a water, and churned enough sand while in reverse over the day to destroy an impeller. The brass wear ring was in perfect shape, the Al impeller was missing a 1/4" of material to seal to the wear ring, the ENTIRE front lip area. Mine is worn now, I suspect most of it from road-crap being in it when started, even wet. the impeller has wear, and the ring is loose side to side, but is still pretty tight fore-aft and still pulls hard.
    The bronze ring MIGHT save the suction housing in the event of a catastrophic thrust bearing failure (IF you catch it with header noise), but it won't help much unless it is a lipped ring.
    I am rebuilding the drive this winter for the new Bronze jewel. :crossx: Another Ultimate ring is in my future.

Squirtin Thunder
    First, they are not "plastic" wear rings, they are made of a very hard material, almost like a super hard nylon (would be my best description) I'd much rather have the impeller up against nylon than brass if things did get out of sinc. Personally would rather buy a wearring than an impeller.
    Ken F
    Well after talking with Duane these wear rings are well not nylon or plasic. I am willing to try one, But I am sending Duane my impeller to be fit to the wear ring. This will be very interesting to see results.

2Sangers
    How much?$$$?

Rondane
    Happy new year to you too Jim!!!
    Your hole shot comes from your BBF.
    You know this is in direct contradiction to what Duane keeps telling me.
    Partly from the BBf, but the wear-rings DO make a hell of a difference.
    On the old Omega, I couldnt believe the difference when we switched it from Brass to Ultimate wear-ring.
    Ken F
    I'd like to ask again what "hell of a difference" did you notice in changing wear rings? Do you have any numbers or is it one of those seat of the pants type things? From reading your posts it seems you work and are friends with the maker of the wear ring you use. Did he rebuild your pump or did you? Usually someone who makes their own stuff uses their own stuff, whether it really makes a difference of not. Thats what its made for. Around here, dons pump service is the builder of choice and you'd be amazed how many of those inducers are used for example...whether the boat benifits from them or not. I've never really heard him mention the ultimate wear ring. He sure likes the inducer though! Next time i am there i will have to ask. Again not trying to be negative, just would rather have a true honest opinion from someone other than a friend or person who has their pump built for them. I would say the wear ring and impeller clearances is what made the "hell of a difference" more so than the actual wear ring. Just my .02

Squirtin Thunder
    I'd like to ask again what "hell of a difference" did you notice in changing wear rings? Do you have any numbers or is it one of those seat of the pants type things? From reading your posts it seems you work and are friends with the maker of the wear ring you use. Did he rebuild your pump or did you? Usually someone who makes their own stuff uses their own stuff, whether it really makes a difference of not. Thats what its made for. Around here, dons pump service is the builder of choice and you'd be amazed how many of those inducers are used for example...whether the boat benifits from them or not. I've never really heard him mention the ultimate wear ring. He sure likes the inducer though! Next time i am there i will have to ask. Again not trying to be negative, just would rather have a true honest opinion from someone other than a friend or person who has their pump built for them. I would say the wear ring and impeller clearances is what made the "hell of a difference" more so than the actual wear ring. Just my .02
    Yes set-up is the important part of all pump services. Now in my conversation with Duane I am doing something very close to what Duane has experienced with his wear ring. I bet if you do an LVjetboy serch you will find something on these wear rings. I am going to install one in my pump and test it first hand. It will be a while before I hit the water but give me a month or so and I will let you all know first hand. How the spaceage/plastic/nylon/cryptonite wear ring works.

Ken F
    Rogain,
    I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you over this.
    Yes, Duane and I have become very good friends, but that has nothing to do with what we are talking about. Originally, I was just a customer. Didn't know him from Adam.
    If you don't feel it is a good product, then don't use it.
    If you trust Don's pump Service and he doesn't recomend it to you, then don't use it.
    it's that simple.
    I was simply stating my experience with them.
    I don't understand why all these threads have to turn so controversial.
    Why cant people just accept one mans opinion as just that. Any two people are going to differ on opinions, and if you don't agree, understand that & let it go or state your own opinion.
    In the infamous words of Forrest Gump: "...and that's all I have to say about that."
    KenF

Squirtin Thunder
    Rogain,
    I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you over this.
    I was simply stating my experience with them.
    I don't understand why all these threads have to turn so controversial.
    Why cant people just accept one mans opinion as just that. Any two people are going to differ on opinions, and if you don't agree, understand that & let it go or state your own opinion.
    In the infamous words of Forrest Gump: "...and that's all I have to say about that."
    KenF
    Nope Ken we agree that the BBF is the stuff

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Nope Ken we agree that the BBF is the stuff
    There you go with that FURD stuff Just jerkin' ya chain jim

Squirtin Thunder
    There you go with that FURD stuff Just jerkin' ya chain jim
    Did you get Kimmies permision first ???
    well 396 is officially owned my kimmy
    J/K

460 jus getn it
    Did you get Kimmies permision first ???