Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clear Coat

Have removed all of the oxidation from my boat but needs a shine (wax lasts a few weeks at best). What are your thoughts about spraying a clear coat over the boat - I did a couple trail patches and it looks great. Has anyone done an entire boat, and the results??
    Thanks

ratso
    propless: we have done lots of clearcoats over the years (over metalflake) I don't really like the way it looks over original solid gelcoat though. If your boat is the original gel try this: wet sand the boat (small area first) with 400, then 600, 1000, and 1200, machine buff with a car polisher and fiberglass compound, coarse then finer, and finish off with a good wax. I bet it will shine like new.

Rebelman
    PPG rep told me if you can buff up a shine that clearcoating it will work.I would make sure that you wet-sand it real good and finish up with 800 or 1000 grit.I have not tried it on any gel-coat,but the rep said it should last.Make sure you sand away the oxidation.

Shot the boat on Saturday, and now welcome to urethane HELL.
    I now found out from PPG this morning (from two sources),that I should have shot 2021, not 2024 (per PPG).
    PPG has agreed to replace my loss in urethane costs, but that is it. The two days sanding & preping I'll right it off to experience, and the additional time re-sanding the damn entire surface as well. One pissed off'd person - but life does go on and PPG is at least working with me.
    They will cover the cost of the "new" urethane, that is it (so far unless someone out there has a contact ???
    Originally posted by Rebelman:
    PPG rep told me if you can buff up a shine that clearcoating it will work.I would make sure that you wet-sand it real good and finish up with 800 or 1000 grit.I have not tried it on any gel-coat,but the rep said it should last.Make sure you sand away the oxidation.

ratso
    Propless: Sorry about your bad luck. Do you know a painter? It seems you had already done the hard work. Next time around you may want to get the prep work done and maybe even mask it off, then have someone shoot it that has done some painting before. Good luck next time around.

HammerDown
    Propless, sorry to here about the error in clear coat choice. I thought about doing the same thing to my 1983 21" Daytona. When I bought the boat it was in a bad way. So my brother who did custom street rod painting (at that time) said we'll just sand it and shoot some clear over it. Well I didnt belive him, so he scuffed a small area, and pured a small amount fo clear over the sanded spot and wamo,it looked great. But me thinking, well it may start to lift or peel or crack down the road...I went with the total wet sanding to cut the gel and then buffed it out, alot of work as you know. And it did look great for a couple years but now needs to be waxed every other trip out to keep the gloss! So I'm waiting to see how ya make out with yours, and I hope it works out for ya...And if your job turns out great down the road I'll clear over mine...so keep us posted.
    P.S. to other painters out there...will the clear coat really lock-in the gloss (under Gel-Coat) and stop it from (slowly) fading again under the clear? And what about any adheason problems? Thanks
    [This message has been edited by HammerDown (edited April 03, 2002).]

UtlGoa
    I bought a 18-6 bahner that was in desperate need of care. I took the boat to my buddy who ownes a body shop. They stripped the boat, stripped any spider cracking out of the fiberglass and refilled it. They then painted it four shades of blue, maroon and white. They used ppg paint, but used a clear called "Graffiti Clear". This stuff is strong. Acid won't damage it, gasoline won't damage it etc... The down side is it's $800.00 dollars a quart. You guys might want to look into it. Won't crack or peel. As soon as I get my digital I'll post some pics.

rrrr
    I am just about ready to clear coat my motor mount plates, intake and log exhausts. I already clearcoated other engine parts with PPG 2042, not 2024. Did you transpose the numbers? Anyway, what's the difference between the two? Is 2042 OK for metals?
    And is there anything I need to know about clearcoating polished aluminum?

Nope - my numbers were correct 2021 & 2024 (do not use 2024!!!).
    As for shooting on bare metal, I would advise asking a ppg rep, I honestly do not know.

shirkey4750
    For the polished aluminam use Nyalic. I have used it on a couple of polished intakes. Works great. www.nyalic.com (http://www.nyalic.com)
    [This message has been edited by shirkey4750 (edited April 04, 2002).]
    [This message has been edited by shirkey4750 (edited April 04, 2002).]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast