Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you purchase a houseboat?

Familycat
    Looking to buy a houseboat in northern California. Not sure what is invlolved. Looking at Don Pedro, Lake Mclure, or New Melones. How are they registered,financed and are they sold through brokers like homes or are they sold like boats? Any input would be appreciated.
    Rick

Cas
    here's a couple of places at Shasta
    Shasta Houseboat Sales (http://www.shastalake-houseboats.com/) also has boats on Oroville
    Pearson's Marine (http://www.pearsonsmarine.com/)
    As far as I know they are registered as boats but can be classified as a 2nd home with similar financing. When we were looking a couple of years ago, we were checking boat trader online, the Redding and Oroville newpapers, craigslist and a few other places. There were all kinds of used ones anywhere from about $3,000.00 (needed LOTS of work) on up to about $300,000.00.....lots of choices.

Cas
    oh yea, the other thing we did when we were at Oroville a couple of years ago was cruised around the marinas. In the cove where Bidwell Resort is, there were at least 20 for sale of all shapes and sizes.

haulina29
    Search the internet there are lots of places to buy them . They are financed like a motorhome or yacht. I checked into it very seriously and ended up buying a lakefront house at Tulloch instead . You will go nuts trying to figure out what you want if you buy new because there is no inventory to look at like motorhomes but it was still fun looking. For financing try RV Lending Tree 866 788 7331 Kevin Marsh is who you would want to talk too he is the head honcho.

acatitude
    steps to buying houseboat
    bring pen
    bring checkbook

Familycat
    oh yea, the other thing we did when we were at Oroville a couple of years ago was cruised around the marinas. In the cove where Bidwell Resort is, there were at least 20 for sale of all shapes and sizes.
    Thank you. We wend to Oroville last year for the first time and really liked the lake. Don Pedro is our first choice because it is close. We live in San Jose and Pedro is less that 3 hours away. Looking to spend up to $200k
    Rick

Cas
    I just checked craigslist and there's quite a few houseboats for sale in the different areas. The one thing I was reminded of when purchasing a used one, make sure you get the pontoons checked. I don't think you want to buy one that you can put your finger through the pontoon. Yes, I did that when looking

bubbletop409
    A good friend of mine has a houseboat on Don Pedro, and from talking with him, it is my understanding that a permit is necessary, and that there is a limit on the amount they issue. Not even sure if you can get one now on Pedro. But if you buy a boat already there, the permit can be transfered. Plus I believe the is a yearly renewal fee on the permit, plus the monthly dockage or bouy fee. At Pedro some are kept in marinas, while others are moored on bouys. Besides Tahoe, Pedro is our favorite lake.

bocco
    BT409 is correct about Don Pedro. No permits are available. You have to buy a boat on the lake to get one. I believe junkers, also known as permit boats are going for around $80K when available. Pull it out and drop in a new boat.
    The best way to find the boats for sale is cruise the lake and look for signs on the boats. You probably know that there boats at both ends of the lake. Flemming and Moccasin. Don Pedro does command the highest price for a boats. Also allows larger boats than the other lakes.
    PM me for more info. I have a pdf copy of the latest newsletter that lists a couple of boats for sale that I can email.
    Gary

haulina29
    Shasta changed their rules on grey water tanks and many small boats that cant be retroed will be going up for sale either for a Shasta permit or to be taken to another lake with no grey water regs .

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast