Thread: Roller Lifter sources.

Fired Up
    I'm looking for a good set of solid roller lifters for a BBC on a budget. I've found the average price to be about 260.00 through Jegs and Summit Catalogs for Comp, Crane and Lunati brands. Has anyone used the Chet Herbert name brand? They are going for about 180.00. Are there any advantages to using the vertical bar as opposed to the horizontal bar lifter? I've heard that the spring loaded rollers have a tendency to break. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Racing Ray
    [This message has been edited by Racing Ray (edited March 12, 2002).]

superdave013
    I agree with Ray. I have never used their lifters but I have had one of there roller rockers fail. Yep, that took out the oil pump when a chunk of the trunion got sucked in it. I got it shut down before major damage happened. I was very lucky.
    I bought a set of their ti. valve spring retainers. The installed height of the springs were all over the place. I never used them.
    It's to bad their house brand stuff is such crap. That is the closest speed shop to my house. I go the extra distance to Clay Smith now. Yes, I also pay the extra price too.

Fired Up
    You made your point well. What about the spring loaded style of Roller Lifter. Are they necessarily better for the convenience of changing cams or are the vertical bar types better?

superdave013
    My engine builder would not consider the spring kind when I asked the same question. He used the vertical bar types on mine.

Racing Ray
    [This message has been edited by Racing Ray (edited March 12, 2002).]

Fired Up
    Again, Thanks for the good info. I ordered the Comp lifters (vertical, no spring) this morning. I did not know they had a rebuild offer. Good to know for the future.