Thread: Another blower/crank pulley thread

StealBlueZ
    OK, the motor is in for the last party of the season. Trying not to get in a hurry, but would really like to take it out this weekend. Prob is, I snaped the bolts off holding the pully to the balancer tonight. I am using a BHJ Dynamics balancer, and have a 2 grove pully topped off with the blower pully. Motor is 8-1 comp, running an 8-71 with 52/top and 58/bottom pulleys. Motor is tight, raps good, gave me a woody. On the trailer, the 3 3/8 cap screws that bolt the pully to the balancer broke, and on this balancer there is only the 3 holes. Am I going to need a different balancer for more bolt holes, or will a better grade of bolts do..... Also, on a cold motor, how much slack should I have on teh long side of the belt, with aluminum heads.......
    randy

Infomaniac
    You need good quality bolts in that aplication. Your bolts are 1/2 the quantity and 3 times as long compared to just bolting a pulley on a blower hub.
    Allow about 1"" of deflection on the non idler side of the belt cold. Make sure there is a slight deflection warmed up.

StealBlueZ
    [QUOTE=Infomaniac]You need good quality bolts in that aplication. Your bolts are 1/2 the quantity and 3 times as long compared to just bolting a pulley on a blower hub.
    Yeah, I was sure that a setup like this would be better off with six bolts. I will plan on a better ballancer and elliminate at least one grove from the pully and add the holes. Hey, aren't you a "carb" guy, or do you have a line on someone that can redo and refinish blower carbs? I have 2-1050's from Bigs Performance carbs. I've had um apart for cleanin and new gaskets, but I'm sure that the need to bo done the right way....
    Thanks for your input.

wideopen545
    my blower shop 1071 set up uses three bolts to the balancer through the grove pulley and the 8 mm pulley bolts to that using 6 bolts and a blancer bolt