Thread: Pre Season Blues

Keithb87
    I'm working on the boat again. A family member took it out in November and said that it ran fine. But one of the Snails is now gold from heat and one the Exhaust tube on that side had a hole in it that you could put your fist in.
    We took it out 2 weeks ago for a pre-season trip and it ran like CRAP. It was like it was dead on one Cyl. So I pulled the carb and rebuilt it.
    So I put the carb back on and off to the lake we go. Still runs like crap and it dies 100 yds off the ramp and won't start. So I swim it back to the ramp and get the truck, give my parking slip to a family trying to get the machine to work and head home.
    I get home and it still won't crank. So I pull the plugs and find one is gapped at .020 not .045 and two of the plug wires got hot at the Spark Plug side and had melted.
    I've been through the plugs, wires, starter, and solinoid. Checking all of the connections to make darn sure that they are all tight. I've had the starter tested and the battery checked out.
    I am replacing the key switch in hopes that it will solve the rest of the electrical problems. Man I hope this works.
    I'm puzzled at how only one plug could have been gapped at 1/2 it's original gap. Is it possible that when it got hot that only one piston could have streached up and smacked the spark plug enough to lessen the gap? (I would not think so) More likely Dude took the plug out and smacked it putting it back in because it was so hot and he got burnt. :220v:
    Any way, Hopefully we will be back tot he water this weekend.
    What a Pain in the ARSE this is :cry: .
    But it all seems worth it when we are on the water.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Kieth, I know how your feeling. Have you drove by my house lately?????? My boat is in 100 pieces :cry: :cry: I dont get sleep anymore either :cry: :cry: My life consists of work and working on my boat............

BrendellaJet
    You let a "family member" take your boat out without you?

Hallett19
    Dont say that !! I agreed to let my brother take it out without me this Saturday !!!
    Whats up Keith !! Sounds like it could be a distributor. I had a similar problem, It would die after running 5-20 min and have to wait up to 10 min or so to start up again. I put on a an msd distributor that weekend, it was the only thing on the engine that wasnt brand spankin' new, this was about 4 yrs ago and it has ran perfect since then.

Keithb87
    I forgot about the Distributor. I guess I have not yet replaced all of the Electrical system yet. :cry:

Hustler
    Have you checked to see if you have power to all the connections and if you are getting spark at all?

Too funny. We've all been hanging on the boards too long. Half the time I don't even have to post anymore. Somebody always echos the sentiment.

lbzboyhb
    check the cap and rotor i have seen the rotor melt under the tab in the middle and it will start and run and then when it gets hot nothing,

Wally_Gator
    I feel your pain...
    My boat is in pieces, I have gel I need to shoot, sanding to be done and tanks to buy among other things... Low and behold a perfect storm of bills comes along to take away my money....
    The only family I would let borrow my boat is my brother and he has the same respect for the boat as I...