Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holley carb rebuild

1978 Rogers
    I have a holley 4777 (650) w/ 67 (F) 76 (R)on a mild 460 w/ a turning 4800 wot. I was wondering if it would be a waste of time/money to buy a new 750 main body retro fit kit and add my metering blocks and bowls, etc to it. I saw 2 in the Jegs catalog one from Holley for $125 and another from ? for $100. It seems to be cost affective way to step up to a bigger carb. I imagine I'd need different jets. I had the choke removed and air horn ground down when I had it rebuilt a 4 years ago.
    After a couple thorough cleaning twice during this season to get rid of corrosion from water in my fuel, it seems pretty easy or work on these. I just wanted some others advice on the main body kits available. Seems a lot cheeper of a way to get a bigger carb on the boat. If you have the lates Jegs catalog, there on page 78 & 80.

YeLLowBoaT
    I think you would actually get less airflow by doing that. The 4779(750) has larger ventruis then the 650. the base plate of the 650 has alot smaller bore then the 750. So you would have a flat lip at the bottum of the main body where it meets the base plate. That will cuase a lot of turblence in at the bottem of the venturis. I think your asking for alot of probs by doing this. if you go to a few swap meets you can normally pick up a carb in need of a rebuild for less then $100. just make sure that no 1 has molested them. ( I have seen some pretty nasty things done to carbs by so called "tunners") I hope that makes sence... I am still way to hung over.

1978 Rogers
    Here is a link to Jeg's web site that has both of those I was talking about.
    http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...12&prmenbr=361
    http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...53&prmenbr=361
    I guess I'm a little confused by you saying the base plate will cause some restrictions.

YeLLowBoaT
    the base plates for 4777, 4778, and 4779 ( 650 700 and 750) all have diffrent size butterflys as well as ventruis. how to explain it..... redneck explation its like nascar when they use the restricter platesto decrease airflow in to the motor. but in this case the restricker plate is the base plate. A better way to explain it you have 2 peices of pipe one is 3/4" in diameter the other in 1" if you slide the peice of 3/4" pipe into the 1" pipe about 1 inch. what your left with is a lip on the inside of the 1" pipe which is the 3/4" pipe. so you have a output of 3/4" and a input of 1" the pipe is going to flow alittle less then a 3/4" pipe do to the turblence cuased by the 3/4 " pipe instered into the 1" pipe. sorry I am still way hung over.

i agree with Yellow...go visit some swap meets...go to EBay...go to Racingjunk.com....spend the $$$ to find a 750cfm DP...they are out there & cheap...just shop around...u wont be dis-appointed
    fastrat

1978 Rogers
    Gotcha. There advertisement is decieving. The change won't be the same as they claim. I'll wait like you all said. Thanks
    Chris
    P.S.
    Yellow, the Alki-Seltzer Morning Relief really helps me out. Along with some Dramamine. Good luck on the hang over.

Floored
    you can use the 750 body with an 850 baseplate and it will flow even better. billet baseplates aren't too expensive nowdays and use either the holley or proform body.

1978 Rogers
    you can use the 750 body with an 850 baseplate and it will flow even better. billet baseplates aren't too expensive nowdays and use either the holley or proform body.
    Cool, I'll keep that in mind. I don't know what I'm going to do.

donzi22
    I have a 750 vaccom secondary that I will sell you with a new carb kit for $100 delivered.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I have a 750 vaccom secondary that I will sell you with a new carb kit for $100 delivered.
    That's what I would do, but I am already running a 700CFM 4150 mech secc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast