Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: berk je pump

Garett
    im gonna be putting my new boat in this weekend , new motor , i looked at the vanes, the fins on the jet no chips looks clean , is there oil in the jet? , i know nothing of these, first 1 here, grease erks? i think it has oil in case ? please help because id like to get it ready

SmokinLowriderSS
    I have a 12JF (an "E" with factory diverter nozzle). Grease the thrust bearing (front of housing, zerk on top) with the best waterproof marine super-duty grease you can get. I buy mine fron DuaneHTP (he's local to me). I reccomend greasing it every time you get it out of the water to make sure to force any water that got in the bearing out. Only takes a few pumps so don't overdoo it.
    http://hi-techperformance.com/
    At the rear of the bowl are 2 brass plugs. Pull them out and put GL-5 (gear lube) in one till it runs out the other. 85w-90 is OK, I happen to keep 85w-140 arround, works fine too.
    If teh drive makes ANY NOISE (other than a possible "clanging at idle from the coupling being a tad loose on the splined shaft) CHECK THAT THRUST BEARING. There should be no vibrations, growls, squeals, nothing. A good condition jet drive is quiet. If the bearing fails completely, it lets the shaft slide foreward, then 2 things happen.
    1.-- the impeller eats into the suction piece, ruining both parts
    2.-- The shaft pushes all it's load on the CRANKSHAFT, destroying it's thrust bearing and the crank, possibly the block too.
    You should be good to go. Enjoy.

Squirtin Thunder
    im gonna be putting my new boat in this weekend , new motor , i looked at the vanes, the fins on the jet no chips looks clean , is there oil in the jet? , i know nothing of these, first 1 here, grease erks? i think it has oil in case ? please help because id like to get it ready
    I would really Like to see your bowl.
    Most Berk bowls run gear oil in them.
    Yes grease the all the zert fittings when you are done with the boat to push the water out.

Garett
    ok so there is 2 square head bolt on the outside of boat on the big round part of pump, i take both those out and fill it with the gear lube till it comes out the other hole? i looked at the impellar? the thing you can see all the vanes look new no chips or anything

Squirtin Thunder
    Yep pull those pipe plugs and fill !!!

Garett
    cool , you guys are good folks, thx for the help , now if only i could find someone to go through my pump ,new seal and such just to be safe, i called all the marina's and stores dont do it , im in rockford il , wisconsin border, im gonna have trouble finding someone reasonable i think

SmokinLowriderSS
    Yea, so few prop folks will work on jets. Too simple, reliable and not worth enough time to make $$$$ on labor.
    If you want to rebuild the pump, Hi-tech can get you all the parts in a kit (minus impeller) for $236. All bearings, seals, and it is REALLY EASY to do if you can manage to tell one end of a wrench from the other. Should take less than an afternoon, but you wilol hjave to take the engine out (or move it WAY over. The shaft comes out FOREWARD past the oil pan. The only thing you'll need help with is changing the bearing on the shaft, it is pressed on.
    If it looks like I push hi-tech, it is simply that he is local to me & who I use, There are other sources of good quality equip and knowledge, DuaneHTP is just the one I use.

SmokinLowriderSS
    You are actually looking through the inspection cover/access hole at the impeller and not trying to look at it through the nozzle right? THOSE would be the rear end of the straightening veins in the bowl. Mine look new too after 27 years.

Garett
    oops yeah i looked through the end , lmao , hell i dont know nuttin bout these jets

sanger rat
    Garret I belive http://www.arsmarine.com/ is close to you. HTP is good to deal with too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast