Thread: Sidewinder pics

maxwedge
    I promised Sidewound that I would post pics of my Sidewinder (umm...way back in May?). Here they are. And before you post, yes I know the scoop is gay, it's missing a windshield, the interior is thrashed, and my dog looks pissed off because there is no water.
    I paid $500. I've done nothing since I bought it a year ago except abuse it and change the fuel pump once. We gps'd it today at 83MPH...okay so it would only do 67MPH after we took it off the trailer, but I'm still pretty happy with that. I always figured it was more like 60. I love this boat. Yee haw! :smile:
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...t_pics_001.jpg I hear Brown and gold metalflake is making a comeback
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...t_pics_003.jpg
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...t_pics_005.jpg "Find me some water, cause I'm driving this biotch"

DeputyDawg
    That boat really runs 67mph???

maxwedge
    It was running between 64-67 on about 5 or six different top speep runs this morning-according to my friend Dan's handheld Magellen GPS. We ran it without the flame arrestor or the ugly scoop (open carb) and it made no difference we (or the GPS) could tell, except the intake noise was a lot louder and it seemed to idle rougher. I honestly think it may have gone faster, but being as how it's an Olds, I didn't want to run it at wide open for more than a few seconds. I wish I had a video camera. It was friggin perfect. 8:00am, cool and nobody on the lake except a couple guys fishing.
    The guy I bought it from said the motor was rebuilt a few years ago with some head porting and a "three quarter race cam". God only knows what that means, or why anyone would go to the trouble of porting heads and then re-install the stock cast iron intake and Q-jet. They used a lot more RTV sealant than I would have too. He also claimed it was radared at 71MPH at Lake Decatur when the impeller was new. Probably a load of crap, but it has run perfect every time out (except when the fuel pump went died). It does have a lumpy idle, although it's not what I would call "race" by any means. Who knows? I'm certainly not going to pull it apart to find out, when it's running so well
    I plan to work on fixing the ugliness this winter, unless, of course, I have to spend all my money heating my house, which sounds likley.

sidewound
    max,
    Definitly a sidewinder. Still some around. I saw a cobrajet done in those exact colors once.
    Pretty interesting interior layout. I see two fuel fillers. Does it have two tanks. How big and where are they?
    Are the rear seats cut clear out of it?
    Do you have the aluminum piece that goes along the top of the windshield. Can't get those anywhere.
    Hell...who needs a windshield..Sunglasses Baby!
    I'm amazed at the gps numbers. My best is 62 with my rebuild on motor and pump.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...OOSTIN-med.jpg
    Your numbers are damn good for that hull.
    With that kinda speed you would get a real boost from a new intake and carb.
    Thanks for puttin up the pics.
    Peace Man!
    CESAR

maxwedge
    max,
    Definitly a sidewinder. Still some around. I saw a cobrajet done in those exact colors once.
    Pretty interesting interior layout. I see two fuel fillers. Does it have two tanks. How big and where are they?
    Are the rear seats cut clear out of it?
    Do you have the aluminum piece that goes along the top of the windshield. Can't get those anywhere.
    Hell...who needs a windshield..Sunglasses Baby!
    I'm amazed at the gps numbers. My best is 62 with my rebuild on motor and pump.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...OOSTIN-med.jpg
    Your numbers are damn good for that hull.
    With that kinda speed you would get a real boost from a new intake and carb.
    Thanks for puttin up the pics.
    Peace Man!
    CESAR
    Yeah I was pretty amazed at those numbers myself. My tach quit working about a month ago, so I don't know what rpm it's running. I also have no horn, no voltmeter, 1 functioning fuel gauge, and intermittent speedo that reads very innacurately. I plan to re-wire and get a whole new set of gauges for it this winter.
    I guess the seating arrangement is stock because I have a 76 sidewinder brochure that shows this setup. I actaully have all the paperwork from when it was new incuding all the Berkeley set up/install manuals which is really cool. The are wood baffles that are supposed to go next to the engine on both sides to create storage compartments in the space where normally the rear seats would be in most sidewinders I've seen. I leave the baffles in the garage because they weigh about 30lbs each and make it impossible to reach sides of the engine. The engine cover was rotted, and the upholstry on it (much like the rest of the boat) looked like something a 1976 pimp might have had on his luggage, also it weighed about 75lbs, so it's gone too.
    There are two fuel tanks. The stock one under the bow that holds maybe 20 gal? and an aftermarket add on tank that sits on the just behind the dash that holds either 15 or 20 gallons. It makes the boat pretty nose heavy when you fill both, but you can run all weekend if you want. As a bonus one of the tanks was filled with either 100LL aviation fuel or race gas when I got the boat.
    I have no windshield parts at all. I've considered building a form and making one out of acylic or lexan in this big industrial oven we have at work. I think I could make the aluminum pieces too, but I have no time latley. I would like have a new intake and carb and maybe some Edelbrock aluminum heads and some new carpet and upholstery, and paint and...maybe I'll just save my money and buy a small hydro or a tunnel hull, because that is what I really want.

BigBlockBaja
    HMMMMMM.. 67 MPH??? There must be lots of goodies in that motor then.. I really dont see 67 mph there.....