Thread: how to remove steering box,cable and steering wheel?

kcsteck
    Im preping boat to be painted and want to remove steering cable and whatever you call what the steering wheel is attached to behind the dash that the cable hooks to (steering box?) im new so I have no idea what it is called or how to remove it. Help please.
    Casey
    76 Tahiti Jet boat.
    Casey

Start by removing the steering wheel and the trim behind it. That should expose the mounting hardware. The exact procedure will vary depending on the steering system used, and there were quite a few different systems used over the years.

breezeblocker
    when in doubt, break it out!! my steering cable broke, ended up replacing the entire helm with a morse helm/cable kit.had to break the old one :hammer2:

kcsteck
    it says morse on it.and it has been real hard to steer the boat. I though that while I had it out i could see if lubrication helps or not. Like you said if I cant get it out ill cut it out with a die grinder.LOL
    Thanks guys
    Casey

Heatseeker
    Your helm may have studs on the backside of it that go through the dash. Look for them behind the dash. There should be 3 or 4 small(mine are 1/4") studs with nuts on them around the hole that the helm comes through.