Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What type of head gaskets should I use?

delusional502
    I'm hoping you guys can help me out on this one.
    I have a stock 502 crate motor that I plan to put an 8-71 BDS on with twin 750hp holleys. The blower will only be running about 5 lbs of boost which, by Good Vibrations Motorsports calculations, should give me total compression of about 12.5 to 1 up from a standard 8.75 to 1.
    I plan to run the motor on premium unleaded fuel which is 98ron here.
    I've heard that the head gaskets are a bit of a weak point so I'm keen to swap them over before installation.
    Does anybody have any recommendations as to which gaskets to run?
    Also is there anything else I should look at (known weak spots etc.)?
    As I am in Australia it is extremely difficult to get a straight answer from anybody as most of the speed shops only seem interested in selling you what they have and not what's best for the job.
    Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

pacman
    use the fel-pro stainless composite marine gasket, i've used them for years and have had no problems running ten pounds of boost. :hammer2:

delusional502
    Thanks Pacman,
    That advice tallies with what I've heard from a couple of people down here as well.
    Anybody else heard of any other weak points I should be looking at?
    I'll only be using the motor for social skiing and the occasional blast up the river so it won't be under a great load for extended periods.

obnoxious001
    Which part of Australia are you in? Even over here "Speed Shops" are not always the best place to find the right parts. When I was down for the Southern 80 this year, we went to a small shop in Melbourne, where the guy had a tremendous amount of the good stuff all in one small room. We searched him out to get some Cometic gaskets for a super class boat. If you are down that way, I will see if I can figure out who and where he was.

You're already dealing with the right guys ... talk to Jim (the owner) or Jessie @ Good Vibes ...
    I use these on low boost (below 12-13 psi) motors ... they work great ... I would recommend .050 thickness to start ... a little thicker but good for an all around performance deal ...
    http://goodvibesracing.com/ics_copper_gaskets.htm

Liberator TJ1984
    are a Great Gasket , ran 22# boost -race gas on 8:75/1 static comp. with no failures :messedup:

UBFJ #454
    Cometics are well worth their price (SS & Composite Materials) ... just make sure you have the right gasket for your motor/application.

delusional502
    Thanks for all your help on this.
    I'll probably go the Felpro Stainless composite o-ringed jobbies.
    Obnoxious 1, I'm up near Canberra in a small town called Goulburn which is probably 8 hours to Melbourne.
    What team do you helpout with at the Southern 80? Me and group of mates head down there each year for the weekend which is huge.
    The guys that built my hull are putting together a new 21' Stephens for the old "Special Edition" team. Apparently a brand new twin turbo 500 to go between the stringers putting out 1600hp. The new boat will be called "Wildfire". Should look real nice going off the bare hull, looks trick.

obnoxious001
    I have quite a few Australian friends, but I was down with the Blown Budget team. Mike Dominguez and Jason Cartledge had me down for a visit, I am really happy that I had the chance while Michael was still with us. I was Scott Domiguez observer when he was in the US during 2000.

delusional502
    Yeah, that was a real kick in the backside.
    He'll be missed for sure, he was one of the most intense competitors I've ever seen.
    Did you get to see the video of the 2005 event?
    Let me know if you didn't and i'll send you a copy if you like.
    Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast