Thread: Paging HotCrusader76 Carb Size Question...

Terminal Velocity
    I recently did a motor for a friend of mine and I'm thinking the Carb (Rochester) may be out of whack/not big enough or something. I saw the beautiful work you did on LakesOnly's carbs and it seems to me you know your stuff, so here's my question that you may be able to help me out on.
    What size Holley would you recommend for this motor combination....
    454 .030 over 9:1 comp.
    Oval GM Heads w/ Edelbrock Performer intake.
    Crane Cam .530 Intake .551 Exhaust 112 L.C.
    Originally it was a Merc 454 Magnum Stock.
    Boat specs are 23.5 Classic Carrera w/ Bravo 1 drive. I don't know what gear ratio, or how to even check to find out.
    The boat does alright on the top end other than it seems to run out of breath pretty early and it's pretty doggy out of the hole. He's thinking of a new prop but need to get the carb worked out first.
    Also he wants to use the boat more for skiing and tubing than all out across the lake.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

Snowboat
    I'm not Ty but I have an engine that is nearly identical. Its in a '65 Mandella, 18 feet and heavy. I fooled with a Quadrajet and couldn't get it to run past 5,000 rpms. Put an 850 Holley double pumper on it and ran great, almost out of the box.

Hotcrusader76
    Terminal Velocity,
    For a Lake Boat like that a 750DP or warmed over 750VS out of the box would work just fine. If you went with a custom set-up from a builder than you can option for an 850. Otherwise stick with the better bottom end responder...
    Call me if ya need any assistance.
    (877)TPC-CARB
    ~Ty

Terminal Velocity
    Thanks I was thinking the 750dp because I remembered something about the lower number would give better bottom response. I'm leary about the 750vs because I don't know how to tune the sec. to open right. I seem to remember seeing something about being able to put a secondary metering block in the 750vs, does this help much?
    Also, what would be your prices for say a 750vs or a custom 850?
    Thanks again.
    James

Hotcrusader76
    James,
    Give me a call and we can talk about setting you up with something.
    The 750VS carburetors are cake. The way I set them up now, they include the secondary metering block with 4-corner idle, and have the new Billet vacuum cansister which allows secondary adjustment by a single screw. No more spring changes!
    The 850DP would also work when the proper booster is selected to strengthen the signal as if you had a 750DP all along. This means you would have the best of both worlds, bottom and top-end response.
    (877)TPC-CARB
    ~Ty

Terminal Velocity
    Ty,
    I'm heading out of town for the week but I'll call you from Salt Lake City sometime during the week to get an idea of which direction we should go.
    Thanks for all your help!