Thread: Bravo 1 Drive lowers over time on trailer

bigblockbill
    Just bought my first I/O boat and the drive lowers its self from the trailer position over a few hours. Is this normal? I think I have seen a little plastic thing that can be put on over the hydrualics for trailering to hold the drive up, even though the people at one boat shop did not seem to know what I was talking about. Don't know if it changes trim positions while driving or not. Is there a valve or something that can be rebuilt? Or is this normal and nothing to worry about?

Havasu Hangin'
    That's not normal.
    You can buy the plastic stops, but those are more for insurance, in case you have a seal failure while towing, your outdrive won't find the pavement.
    If you are not leaking oil, there are check valves in the pump that may not be totally sealing. Might be time for a pump?

Havasu47
    Could be the pump or might be just a trim cylinder leaking internally.

Tahiti350
    Rather than spending the money for the store bought ram stops, just get some pvc pipe, cut to lenght (trim full up), split it lenght wise on one side, snap it around the ram adn secure with a t-handle hose clamp(just to make sure).
    But, as above, yes it sounds like a ram or the pump leaking internally. Easy way to tell which is to strap the drive in the up position (cherrypicker or similar support), disconnect the lines and cap the ports, then release the strap on the drive. if it still sinks then it's the rams. If it stays up it's the pump. Could also be air in the system, might just need a good bleeding (probably wouldn't hurt to do a fluid change at the same time).

bigblockbill
    Thanks Gary I will give that a try. On the fluid change/airbubble thing what is the correct method to bleed the lines?