Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New motor time

'78 gt boat
    I am finally going to pull the trigger and start on the new motor next week. It will be a 460 ford for my 19' spectra jet. I had just a couple of questions to throw out there.
    1. Do you really have to built the motor to "marine" specs or can you get away with a crate motor?
    2. With a $5k budget what can I expect to get?
    The motor that is in the boat right now is a 460 that I broke. It is basically an truck motor. I want to get decent horsepower out of this thing. I don't need a drag boat, just something pretty quick. Any info will be helpfull and appreciated. :chi:

Squeezing Spectra
    I have this motor for sale turn key it is almost new.
    http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95286

[QUOTE='78 gt boat]I am finally going to pull the trigger and start on the new motor next week. It will be a 460 ford for my 19' spectra jet. I had just a couple of questions to throw out there.
    1. Do you really have to built the motor to "marine" specs or can you get away with a crate motor?
    2. With a $5k budget what can I expect to get?
    Anytyhing used for Marine Jet Boat power should have more clearance than a typical plastigauged rebuilt engine will have. It should also have a higher capacity Oil Pan with a rear p/u. These are reliability items and should be considered the minimum you can get away with. As far as $5000.00 for your project goes, if you have a friend in the business, or get the "long deal" somewhere, you should wind up with a Balanced and Clearanced engine with ported Iron Heads and big valves, stock type Pistons and a little higher compression, performance Cam and 4V carburetion. Depending on what they use for the rest, you should have 450 to 550 reliable hp. RR
    I'm just a pawn in the game of life...........

Aluminum Squirt
    Not sure how the Ford crate motors are, but the Chevy small block crate motors need nothing, we run the ZZ4 at WOT and get good results and reliability, all the while cavitating the pump. Some boat parts are needed, especially if your motor is enclosed but talk to some Ford smart people before you drop your coin on any uneccessary parts. I agree with RR, I think 450-550HP is a reasonable expectation, especially if you shop around and spend smart-Aluminum Squirt

Ralph Brunt
    go over to the gear heads section and check out the 502 oil thread we both got our stuff from brian at ad performance all scat stuff from china LOL any way i think you would do well to post your ????? over there as well my .02 ralph

'78 gt boat
    How much for the motor and what does "almost new" mean? How many hours are on it and what does it have. I am a little weary about "almost new" motors. Not to say anything is wrong with this one but when I bought my boat that is what I was told about the motor in it and on the first run it went kaboom. (Probably my fault but who knows). Let me know on the price. :rollside: :rollside:

'78 gt boat
    Glen over a Pleasure boat specialties here in the bay says around $6-$7k but then again that is with labor at $90/HR. I will look around and maybe I can find a great deal somewhere. I will also check some other threads on the board for other opinions. Thanks for everyones advice

Mighty Thor
    Here is where I am at so far.
    460 bored 30 over, crank standard/standard polished, rods resized and pins floated. $220.
    KB flat top pistons $250
    Moly ring set $80
    Rod bearing set $65
    New flexplate $40
    Balancing rotating assembly $150
    Lower end should be done in the $1500 to $1700 range.

'78 gt boat
    So it sounds like I could get a pretty decent set up for my $

sleekvino
    Here is where I am at so far.
    460 bored 30 over, crank standard/standard polished, rods resized and pins floated. $220.
    KB flat top pistons $250
    Moly ring set $80
    Rod bearing set $65
    New flexplate $40
    Balancing rotating assembly $150
    Lower end should be done in the $1500 to $1700 range.
    those kb pistons are they forged,dont buy the hyperutectic pistons

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast