Thread: serpentine belt making a mess

mike37
    The serpentine belt is getting little rubber particles on my spark arrestor on a 496 ho
    Is it to tight or should I replace it only 30 hrs on it

Infomaniac
    Carry a spare. Make sure everything is lined up properly, pulleys tight and run true.

mike37
    Infomaniac:
    Carry a spare. Make sure everything is lined up properly, pulleys tight and run true. thing look to be lined up I have never seen a belt
    do this its like some one sanded rubber
    the belt dos not look worn or damaged
    [ June 09, 2003, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: mike37 ]

James'SS-24
    Mine was really bad about that too untill I figured out to keep the belt a little tighter than than I was used to. Not extremely tight, just a little tighter. A good way to keep the little rubber pieces out of the intake is to put a whipplecharger on it! That moves the intake to the other end of the engine! Oh, and it makes much more power too.
    [ June 09, 2003, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: James'SS-24 ]

mike37
    James'SS-24:
    Mine was really bad about that too untill I figured out to keep the belt a little tighter than than I was used to. Not extremely tight, just a little tighter. A good way to keep the little rubber pieces out of the intake is to put a whipplecharger on it! That moves the intake to the other end of the engine! Oh, and it makes much more power too. thank for the tip ill try it
    on my wish list whipplecharger

James'SS-24
    Hey Mike, Are you going to be at the regatta in two weeks? I have the SS-24 with the ghost flames.

mike37
    James'SS-24:
    Hey Mike, Are you going to be at the regatta in two weeks? I have the SS-24 with the ghost flames. yas ill be there staying at the nautical
    we will there on thursday 6/19

James'SS-24
    Cool! I won't get there till Friday afternoon and then the Nautical doesn't have any rooms for Friday so I'll have to do something different. But I have a room for Saturday! See ya then!

mike37
    James'SS-24:
    Mine was really bad about that too untill I figured out to keep the belt a little tighter than than I was used to. Not extremely tight, just a little tighter. A good way to keep the little rubber pieces out of the intake is to put a whipplecharger on it! That moves the intake to the other end of the engine! Oh, and it makes much more power too. You got it right the belt was just a little loose
    So at the point the belt circle around and were close to it self
    Started slapping together and caused the rubber particles to fly

James'SS-24
    Glad I could help! C Ya at the regatta!