Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CST lift or Fabtech lift ???

WetWillie
    I am getting the truck all dolled up. I wanted a 6" CST lift with 35"s but the dealer is making the hard push on the Fabtech. Said it has less moving parts and does not need as much service. Like tightening and retightening of parts.. I told him its going to be more of a street truck and tow vehicle and he swears by the Fabtech. He also said its cheaper!!! So its not the hard sale..
    I have alsways planned to go with the CST but wanted to hear if Fabtech has come out with a better lift??
    Thoughts oppinion are appreciated..

Havasu Hangin'
    I've got a Fab-Tech 6" lift...zero problems to date, and probably a couple hundred dollars cheaper.
    The shop told me that all the smaller lifts are pretty much the same...just a different finish.

SummerObsession
    I've had my Fab-tech for nearly 3 years and 50k + miles. No issues with the lift so far (6").
    I was told to keep a close eye on the factory steering, as it is not made for the additional stress of big tires. So far, no issues.
    I think there are higher-tch kits out there, but mine seems to ride and handle great!
    I initially went with 35" tires on 17's, but when they wore out I changed to 37". Will go back to 35"s next time, to much sway in the rear due to large sidewall towing big loads.

OGShocker
    We have been running a CST 6" with 65,000 miles on the lift. I have had zero problems with the set up. The guy to call is Steve @ Accessory House, 909 621 5953. He is the #1 CST guy in So Cal. Tell him you heard it from "Dana Mark" in the HBF. He'll give you the straight scoop.

Reaper1
    Cst

ChumpChange
    My Fabtech lift sucks. Sucks! Sucks! Sucks!
    Had steering shaft problems, cracked control arms because of the angles it put them in, mutilated my bushings.
    There are only three things I can blame: Chevy, Fabtech, or Garys Lift Shop. In speaking with other lift shops, may put the blame on Fabtech.
    Do a search in the Sandbar on Fabtech. There have been some threads about them in the past.

ChumpChange
    The guy to call is Steve @ Accessory House, 909 621 5953. He is the #1 CST guy in So Cal.
    Agreed. I'm taking one of my freinds there this afternoon to talk to Steve for this exact lift.

Tom Slick
    CST all the way...Call So. Cal Super Trucks in San Bernardino.

sigepmock
    First off STAY AWAY FROM GARY'S!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Second comparing CST to Fabtech is a little tricky, they are both lifts but that's about all they have in common. The Fabtech lift is often called a "spindle lift", the lift is accomplished by dropping the front differential in a subframe approximately 3 1/2 inches and the rest of the lift is accomplished by dropping the lower control arms at et the front wheels and using a longer spindle. Most of the type of lifts actually only get you about 5" of lift. They leave the stock upper a-arms in place. Some of the issues with these lifts are greater CV wear caused by the increase in CV angles, the stock upper a-arms use pressed in ball joints that can work their way loose under heavy loads, these lifts do nothing to control the added leverage the larger tires put on the sterring components, Chevies are notorious for weak idle/pitman arms, I have seen them wear out and take the wheel bearings out in as little as 15,000 miles, and finally the longer spindles actually offset the front wheels outward about an inch, increasing the front wheel track width, basically the front wheels stick out farther than the back wheels.
    The CST lift is a full front diff drop type lift, both upper and lower a-arms are dropped down and the front diff is dropped a full 6". You will get at least a 6" lift with this kit, the track width is kept the same, the drop down steering set up is designed to allivate the added wear on the stock steering parts and heim joints are used all around. You can get a CST upper A-arm with dual shock mounts and a bolt in Moog ball joints, and overall it's a heavier duty lift.
    I have run both types and I prefer the CST. I ran an RCD(very similar to the fabtech but better quality IMO) lift on the last truck and I ended up having to add a pitman/idle support kits, buy new upper a-arms because the ball joints came loose, and service the CV's every 25,000 miles.
    I guess the best way to put it is do you want a DCB or a Commander????
    Chris

UnionJack
    What about bulletproofsuspension.com? Grasspays has there 6" lift and loves it. I have there 12" and it is great. I am putting there 6" on my new truck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast