Thread: Preventing reversion?

Miguel
    I wanted to know how can you prevent reversion from taking place, other than changing a cam? Does reversion take place only in injected header applications or can it happen in manifolds as well? I was thinking about installing those 3" spacers below the risers to create a shorter angle to help the water get out quicker. Anyone experienced this and fix it?

VitaminSea
    Miguel, I had a problem with CMI's and a Crane 941 cam. I had to extend the water jackets in the tail pipes so that the water is not injected into the exhaust till just before it leaves the tips. I can set a beer can (Silver of course) in the exhaust and it will balance there at idle. I never had a problem with the stock mercruiser risers as I did not have the cam in the engine. Cliff

lghtnin33
    miguel, correct me if i'm wrong but you are running a small block ford,if you check into the cam designs that were installed in most of the small block fords they have a negative overlap built into the bump stick so that there is minimal if no chance of reversion, also good for low end torque just no rpms behind it.

waterbum
    Because of the overlap built into the cam I ran in my 383 stroker I had to have CMI build me a set of offshore style tailpipes.The offshore pipes are fully water jacketed to the end and they extend 6 inches to the outside of the transom eliminating the need for exhaust tips.The cooling water and exhaust never mix,end of problem. Bum