Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best way to cut hull for exhaust tips

Thunderbutt
    future boater:
    Froggystyle:
    I like the idea of a template and using it for a guide. What I do on retrofits is draw the circle, and cut the fiberglass with a pneumatic recip saw I have with a metal blade. Cooks though it like a samurai sword. Very clean too.
    what about a hole saw? and should you tape both sides of what your cutting to avoid splitting as with wood? The hole saw will be hard to hold on a existing hole. Use the sawsall. The metal blade (fine teeth) will keep the glass and wood from splintering.

Schiada76
    Don't use a sawzall! It'll wander and you won't get a perfect hole. Cut the plywood plugs with a jigsaw and the holesaw works great, or use the template/router method. The holesaw I used didn't spall anything on the inside at all either. You want a nice tight fit in the transom.

Hotcrusader76
    BradP:
    Don't use a sawzall! It'll wander and you won't get a perfect hole. Cut the plywood plugs with a jigsaw and the holesaw works great, or use the template/router method. The holesaw I used didn't spall anything on the inside at all either. You want a nice tight fit in the transom. Brad....I should have some pics for you tomorrow afternoon. Stay tuned...
    ~Ty

future boater
    so the main thing is to use something with fine teeth to eliminate the splintering. i guess what has the fine teeth is all in how much you trust yourself.

Jordy
    Damn, I guess I can't suggest using a dull chainsaw. You did say it was your friends boat right?

Thunderbutt
    Make sure you tell us how it turned out and what you used. Why don't you call a boat builder and tell them what you want to do. Let us know

BOBALOO
    heres what i did . screw a piece of wood inside the transom over the holes,it doesnt have to be round,then use a regular hole saw.looked bitchen w/new 4" rex stainless tips until they got that nasty white buildup on them.i hate to polish,almost should have left the orig bells on.good luck

Mount anything inside the hole or across it (inside) for a guide for the pilot drill and use a 4" holesaw. Tape the transom first so it doesn't chip the gel coat. BradP's idea looks like what I'd use. Router will work too but maybe more work. I would use RTJas method as only a last resort before listing in the boat trader.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12