Thread: mopar jet wanna be

jets4me
    my motor took a shit and i want to put my race car motor in my boat but need to know how i can run the water lines cant find anything to bolt were the water pump goes i have a 451 withaluminum indyheads eagle crank manley rods 680 roller cam copper head gasket o ring for nitrous does anyone have any parts that will work or know someone that does so far no luck thank you jets4me

SmokinLowriderSS
    You may have a tough time finding mopar mod parts, but the parts are not complex. I think you have a exposed-impeller water pump similar to a BBFords? If so, you will need an aluminum plate to cover thepump housing with the pump off. 2 ports, drilled & threaded into it for water inlets in the right places to feed the block, both sides. A flat plate (or a dome), drilled to accept 2 water outlets to replace your t-stat housing (and your t-stat).
    Here's a link to cooling water plumbing diagram.
    http://www.liquidaddiction.net/cooling.htm
    A controll valve (I use a gate) at the INLET FROM THE PUMP IS VITAL. Jet pumps generate several hundred PSI at speed and this pressure is tapped for coolant. There must be some way to restrict water flow INTO the system to insure the engine is not overpressurized. DO NOT RESTRICT OUTFLOW, or the same thing happens. If you overpressure it, you will blow a gasket somewhere, intake is likely but heads go too. With luck, you only get milky oil to change, Worst case scenario is a hydrolock, at speed this results in ruined expensive parts.
    Also, I hope your race motor has a mean torque curve or you are headed to a re-camming, or a smaller impeller. A jet pump will only allow you to spin it so fast depending on what impeller you have and your HP, torque does get important too.
    A man asked advice on here a few months ago about why his Dyno'd 600+ HP, 718Ft/Lb 502 would only spin his Berk Jet 4,000 RPM. My 350 HP 454 spins the same impeller an "A", 4,800 RPM. His muscle was all above 5K, mine peaks at 5K and is very strong below there. Up to 4,000 RPM, I had him out-horsed and out Torqued. He just couldn't get to his power as he was behing the impeller HP requirement curve and I am ahead of it. At 4,000, the pump demanded all 202 HP he had available, and I had 312. Sweet engine, did not fit the aplication worth a darn.
    I think he want to a re-cam instead of an impeller cut.