Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advise on shaft rockers

565edge
    Have any of you used a shaft style rocker system,SHould i buy jesel or t&d?I do have stud girdles and 1.7 rockers for sale along with 2 1150 dominators?
    [ June 29, 2003, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: 565edge ]

wsuwrhr
    Shaft style is the way to go for valvetrain rigidity. Damn expensive, but say goodbye to broken studs and springs.
    I have T&D rockers for my INDY heads.
    I am guessing you are talking about a Ford or Chevy,or Olds. Dodge already has shaft style.
    Brian
    [ June 28, 2003, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

565edge
    They are for a set of dart pro-1 heads for a bbc chevy,I just dont know what ones to get,looking for some pro's and con on both?
    [ June 29, 2003, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: 565edge ]

wsuwrhr
    I honestly haven't heard anything bad about either set. The are comparable in price, you will be in the 700-1000 dollar range. Pros I had mentioned in my earlier post.
    Brian

Racing Ray
    You really can't go wrong with either the T&D or Jesel. I run Jesel on 3 of my engines. One thing I will point out is not to believe the line from Jesel they are a bolt on affair. In order to fit 2 of the engines there was some machining required to set proper geometry due to high lift cams.
    I have friends that run the T&D and swear by them. It is a matter more of price and availability in my opinion.
    Do you run enough RPM to warrant the added expense? Gains from the change will be almost negligable.

565edge
    Racing ray,i run a .800 lift cam and spin at max rpm aroun 7500rpm?

Racing Ray
    Sounds about like the same cam I run in my 565. I think you would be happy with the shaft rockers. On my 565 with Dart 360 heads the heads did require machining the pads to install the Jesels. If not the fulcrum or pivot point will be to high and the push rod cups will hit the push rods breaking the bottom side out of the cup. At least that is what happened to mine. It will most likely require shorter than stock push rods as well.
    Make sure if your machinist is not real familiar with shaft rockers he knows only to expose about 2-3 threads of the adjusting screws on the bottom side of the rocker if they have to extend out to far to adjust lash it will weaken the assembly, broken adjusters will be the result.
    I would advise having the rocker geometry checked real carefully.

565edge
    I'm going to have my engine builder install them and check everything,he wants me to get the jesels but just wanted some other opinions,I also have a 565 with the dart cnc 355's,i run a bullet cam .801 on intake and .780 on exhaust with 286 294 at .050 with the 7 4 swap,I noticed with the 4 7 swap the motor runs alot smoother through the rpm's and makes the motor not sound as radical,I want to change rockers before i break a rocker arm stud,it is also alot easier to check spring peressure and adjust valves with shaft mounted.thanks for the info,what jesels did you get,i think the make maybe three diffrent styles now?

Racing Ray
    Mine are the original race rockers. I have seen a cheaper version I think they are called the Sportsman series I don't know anything about them. I have one of the last 2002 SS Camaros and have been thinking about trying the Sportsman series Jesel makes for the LS1 engine.
    Yes it is easier to check spring pressures and to replace a spring on the heads with the rocker stand tool as well. Remember the tools available for checking spring pressures on the heads are not going to be as accurate as the one your builder should use. So it will only be good as a relative figure. Make sure to check your springs when new so you have a referance point.

565edge
    How long have your springs lasted?What springs are you running?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast