Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ignition opinions wanted

DEL51
    I am ready for the box install and coil.Msd distributor and wires were used with a crane marine box and coil on the dyno.It was the crane digital six with rev limiter. I have a 6a from msd, used 6al in the past.Should I upgrade to a 7 al and hvc coil or stick with what I have.No rev limitation is a concern.I read on the forum ,somewhere, that if I unload the engine, the inertia of the engine exceeds the rev limiter rpm setting, making it ineffective. How important is the rev limit option. if I upgrade my ignition, does it skew the original set up? What I mean is: will I need jet or gap tuning? I just want to get the thing running as it did on the dyno without changes and spending more bucks at this time.Thanks, chris

Hotcrusader76
    DEL51,
    What are the specifics for your combo? Engine, RPMs, type of use, etc.
    You can never go wrong with MSD. I have always been happy with their product and service.
    ~Ty

Infomaniac
    That thing is not functional yet?
    Put a 6M on it and do not jump it out of the water.

Unchained
    I've used the MSD 6-AL several times and they have worked great for me. Ran real high boost on the dune buggy turbo engine (28 lbs @ 8000rpm) and the spark didn't blow out.

I've run MSD6 boxes on turbo motors with no problem. Crane should be similar output. Advantage Crane on the integral rev limiter though. I've never heard of the rev limiter problem you speak of (doesn't mean it doesn't exist)

Thunderbutt
    Why go through all of that B/S with coils and rev limiters etc. What is wrong with a Magneto and get rid of the other shit.

Racing Ray
    I switched to the MSD 6M box with the marine distributor and rev-limiter about 2 years ago and I am VERY pleased with it.
    As far as unloading it and the rev limiter not working that is a crock of sh*t. I can rev it in neutral all day long with no load at any RPM I have a chip to set it at.

Thunderbutt:
    Why go through all of that B/S with coils and rev limiters etc. What is wrong with a Magneto and get rid of the other shit. Mainly they don't have alot of juice at idle speed, tend to load the plugs up, require rebuilding periodically, and use a little HP to turn. Other than that they work great. Ran one for years before I switched to MSD. MSD cleaned the idle right up, no other changes.

1FastHallett
    i have a 6al box on mine and my rev limiter has saved my a$$ a few times so i recomend the rev control. and i have never had a problem with an msd product

Thunderbutt
    Rexone:
    Thunderbutt:
    Why go through all of that B/S with coils and rev limiters etc. What is wrong with a Magneto and get rid of the other shit. Mainly they don't have alot of juice at idle speed, tend to load the plugs up, require rebuilding periodically, and use a little HP to turn. Other than that they work great. Ran one for years before I switched to MSD. MSD cleaned the idle right up, no other changes. Mike, I've had mine 31 years, I think it has been in the shop 4-times, only because I like to have it check out, had to replace the cap once and the wires two or three times, and the gear once,it didn't brake but was worn. This year I had a time placing the Mag in which was my fault. I have never burnt up any plugs, even though I run the motor a little rich. And it idles fine at 1500

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast