Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum Polish

Slick
    Any suggestions from the Peanut Gallery on polish or compound? My valve covers as well as the oil pan are very dull and have some calcium/hard water deposits on them. The tarnish (is that right) is very stubborn and doesn't want to come out with standard polish.

Boater Bill
    Slick, I just tried some Wenol on my aluminum vc's and although it won't get the etched in stains off it seemed to do a good job for the small area I tried. My buddy swears by simicrome but you can't find it anymore. I ordered the Wenol thru Summit. Another product I've heard about but never tried is called Flitz. They have a website if you're interested. I've tried all polishes since changing from chrome to aluminum and just haven't found anything that works real well by hand.

69 Elim
    my vote is for Wenol and have been polishing quite a few things by hand lately. just use a good quality pollishing rag (diaper) - not terry cloth as it will scratch. I have been pollishing stuff that was once pollished before, just tarnished and water spots. I was very impressed - more than other brands. Wenol is a 2 part process, first red, then blue.

GM Killer
    I dont do the polishing on my boat, the lil' woman does that, but she prefers Mothers polish. A helpful hint is to wax the aluminum with Turtle Wax after polishing, it will keep the shine longer. My pump is polished, with the wax the shine will last about 2 hours in the water, with the wax it doesnt look too bad after 2 days.

BradP
    I just tried Boeshield on all my aluminum. It's a protectorant not a polish. It looks OK after application but after the boat ran and sat in the water for a day it gives all the polished a satin look, the great thing about it was when I wiped everything down the polish was just as bright as new without any cleaner or Mother's application, just a dry rag. Everything below water line the same, none of that river mineral deposit or water spots on anything.

Hustler
    I have tried mother's, Wenol and just about everthing else out there and found that I prefer Blue Magic. Have Fun http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    Hustler

vdriveride
    Look for good products at truck stops to polish with, those guys have to keep their tanks and rims looking good. I have had great luck with MFX metal polish.

Slick
    I tried the blue Wenol. It worked well on the bell housing (third engine mount) but really sucked eggs on the valve covers.

Rocket
    Mothers!!! nuf said

Boater Bill
    Slick, red Wenol first to clean, blue to protect!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast