Thread: winter ?

git r
    hey i am a first year owner of a eliminator with a big block. im done using the boat for the year and am putting it in my garage. some people have told me to winterize the boat and some said it would be fine in the garage. should i winterize the boat or not and how much would it cost?

DeputyDawg
    You should be fine if you drain all the water out of it(open the drain petcocks on the block) shoot a little grease in all of your grease zerks and put an appropriate of Sta-Bil in the fuel tank/tanks and if you wanted to you could fog the motor with a little top end lube or Marvel Mystery oil. Then put it in the garage and sleep well dreaming about next spring. If you live in a higher humidity climate or salty air you might also want to spray things down with some light oil or WD-40.

maxwedge
    In addition to what Deputy said, I would also drain the carb bowls, or shut off the fuel and run them dry. Otherwise the fuel wiil turn to varnish and clog the float needle and small passages in the carb. I've had it happen even with Sta-bil in the tank. Make sure your fuel tank(s) are filled all the way to the top. This keeps condensation from forming. Otherwise drain them all the way. Also, It's a good idea to change the engine oil and run it for minute to get everthing coated in fresh oil before you put it away. Remove the battery and if possible, leave it somewhere (peferably warm) attached to a maintainence charger (Battery Tender, etc).

Red Horse
    Winterization is CHEAP insurance against mother nature. And we all know how friendly she has been lately.

jtmarten
    If you're running exhaust logs, make sure they're drained as well.

Mighty Thor
    As long as your at it, it is good insurance to pour some of the Pink RV anitfreeze into the engine and jet just to make sure that any water that does drain does not freeze and break something. It is cheap insurance.

steelcomp
    More impportant than the exterior stuff, make sure you stuff a rag or something in your exhaust, especially if you have OT's. You'll have a couple of open ex valves which expose those cylinders to any moisture in the air. They will certainly surface rust, and the chambers and valve job will too. If you live in a high humidity area, there are dessicant (water absorbing) plugs you can screw in where your spark plugs go, but plugging the exhaust should do. Draining the carb(s) is a good idea, as well as the fuel lines. It also doesn't hurt to check on things every few weeks, to make sure nothing's building nests or chewing up your wiring or anything else. I don't know how, but even with a cover, things get inside and make themselves at home, especially in the country. Set a couple mouse traps on your floor.