Thread: Vortec heads

vdrivenman
    need some answers or advice. looking at a 496 bbc stroker motor. the seller is telling me that it has Vortec heads.i am not an avid GEAR HEAD so do they make vortec heads for late model bbc ?
    i am currently trying to obtain additional information to pass on to help in making a decision to purchase the motor !

SchellSchock
    Chev 496 is a Vortec motor if this is stock Yep. If stroked by someone else maybe not

vdrivenman
    SS,
    where can i find some info on this powerplant????

Racing Ray
    Vortec heads were available from the late 90's to present on 1 ton Duallies. Was this moter bored and stroked?

NOTALENT
    Racing Ray:
    Vortec heads were available from the late 90's to present on 1 ton Duallies. Was this moter bored and stroked? The Vortech Heads are also an upgrade to chevy motors not nessecarily for just vortech motors. They sell for about $500.00 a head complete. You can see them in summit Racing Catalog. They give on average about 30 more hp.

NOTALENT
    Racing Ray:
    Vortec heads were available from the late 90's to present on 1 ton Duallies. Was this moter bored and stroked? I didnt mean just for vortech motors they make the heads for the vortech motor but its also a aftermarket head you can purchase.

victorfb
    what was changed from the standard head to the vortech to get the increase in HP? i have a 454 from a 91 GMC duelly (non vortech motor) but have no idea what heads it came with. valve size and such. i am thinking of replacing the 455 olds in a 18" jet (tahiti) with the 454. should i be looking for a specific head for this 454? im not looking for the fastest boat out there. just like the rest of us i want to go on a few speed runs, but mostly have the dependability of a good running boat. i cruise at around 3500 to 3800rpm, but every now and then see what the boat can do. its gone up to 4700rpm (not sure of speed but other boat along side told me close to 65MPH) after i replaced the heads and did a mild port job to them (455). but it scares me to bring the 455 that high. i would like to get 5000rpm from the 454. i know i will have alot of research to do with cams, intakes, carb, ect. but for now i am researching heads. any info would be highly appreciated. thanks.

Racing Ray
    The main change to the Votec heads is what is referred to as swirl technology. It is the forming of the combustion chamber allowing the exhaust gases to swirl out of the chamber and exit the exhaust valve more efficently. It does help quite a bit.
    Hence the GM trademarked name Vortec which is a spin on Vortex or funneling effect.