Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flushing 496HO?

Wizard29
    Hi all,
    I have the 496HO in my Magic and am getting it ready to put away for the winter. I want to flush the water out of the cooling system, but I did not get an owner's manual from the previous owner. It is kept at Cottonwood where temperatures can be freezing during the winter.
    I understand the concept of using that little hand pump to pressurize the system and have the water come out of the bottom of the engine (from somewhere), but is there anything else I need to do/be aware of?
    Also, does anybody know if an owner's manual is posted online somewhere?
    -Joe

Man-de-lone
    I have the manual at home and can look up that part for ya, but it won't be until tonight......
    I have looked online but no luck in the past. Did you try a "winterizing a 496HO search"??

Not So Fast
    Does it get cold enough for a long enough time to actually freeze water with anti freeze in it?? Is that why you want to drain it? I've talked to some knowledgable people here in Havasu about this and even though it gets close to freezing sometimes, it always warms up during the day. I was told unless it is frigid for a long period of time (say a couple of weeks and during the day time also) that you do not have to do this. Maybe Keith Sayre can jump in here, or Snake Wrench, Anybody ??????????? :idea: NSF

Wizard29
    NSF, I'd like to empty the heat exchanger and anything else that contains only water. I do believe the heat exchanger contains both antifreeze as well as regular water, but in separate circuits. The boat is kept at Mojave, where periods of extended cold are much longer than Havasu due to the higher altitude.
    Man-de-lone, if you get a chance to check that in the owner's manual for me, that would be great.
    Any tips from anybody on how to completely evacuate the drive and/or the intercooler for the procharger would be of some help too....
    -Joe

Quality Time
    I believe he is referring to the raw water cooling system, not the closed water system. The 496 has both. If in doubt, flush the raw water system. Better safe than sorry. To really do it right, refill the raw water system with water/anti-freexe mixture. Grew up in the midwest, been there done that.

Wizard29
    Yes, I think I should have been more clear. I would like to evacuate the raw water portions of the system. The antifreeze circuit is in good shape and can stay...
    -Joe

Not So Fast
    Yes, I think I should have been more clear. I would like to evacuate the raw water portions of the system. The antifreeze circuit is in good shape and can stay...
    -Joe
    Gotcha :smile: I guess I'm lucky in that I usually take the boat out for a little exersise every three weeks or so, nothing sits for too long, being retired it gives me something to do anyway and Havasu is very pretty in the winter Good luck NSF

Not So Fast
    I guess my sig line picture tells how it is during the winter huh? NSF

Chromegorilla
    OK winterizing a 496HO 101.....
    1. Attach affixed hand pump.
    2. Pump until relief valve lifts ( Like 30 secs later).
    4. Water drains out.
    3. Done, go drink a beer.
    The closed cooling part loop on my motor has only antifreeze/coolant in it. No need to worry about it. The air pump will remove the water in the raw side. No problemo. Just be sure to reset the vavle before the first start up afterwards.
    I was talking with a dealer in the nort east and was talking about the 496HO boats on their lots and that is all they do to winterize. Nothing more and they have never had a problem. The nice part is that even if your boat is "winterized" all you have to do is reset the valve put boat in water and fire her up. Just verify you have water flow coming out the exhaust... it seems like forever the first time but it will come. Then afterwards pump out water and put boat away again.

riverroyal
    i wouldnt do it,i have the same set up.It wont get cold enough to freeze.Also water actually keeps things lubricated,if you dry it out then seals,hoses,metal surfaces etc can dry out.Winters not that long,grab a beer,be in the water in less than 25 weeks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast