Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Re-indexing a droop snoot

DeputyDawg
    I was just wondering if any of y'all had ever tried to re-index a droop? A friend of mine has a boat that the droop hangs down below the ride plate a little and we tried wedging it up but it took too much wedge. My thought is to actually cut the droop, remove a little material here and add a little there, reweld it to where it isn't below the ride plate and be done with it. Does this sound crazy? Basically shorten it a bit but not make it as short as a short droop, and maybe change the angle a bit.

Jet Hydro
    crazy

DeputyDawg
    originally posted by Jet Hydro
    crazy
    Why?

TJS
    Does not really sound that crazy. As long as you have a TIG machine with enough amps to weld the aluminum. Also I woud cut it then machine the mating surfaces(remove the desired material) before welding. You need also to make a JIG so that you are exactly perpendicular with the ride plate/hull when you weld this back together. I did something like this for a throttle body elbow where I had to make the elbow shorter to clear the valve covers for someone.
    T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com

Jet Hydro
    Because if you are dragging the hardware it might be time to look in to a "straight snoot" Why are you using a droop snoot? did you need to lower your thrust line? Or did you use it because it was already there?

sdba069
    Hey Bo........ Lots of guys run into that. That's why they came up with the short droop or the straight one, among other reasons. I guess if you had a lot of time on your hands or just wanted to do it, go for it. I would be concerned though that you would probably end up with more up nozzle than you would want trying to modify the one you have. Actually, way more. Remember that there is 7 to 8 degrees up in it already.

DeputyDawg
    The ATJ straight snoot has been tried on this boat and it didn't like it no matter what we did set up wise. We wedged it everywhich way and the boat still ran better with the droop even though it is dragging.
    originally posted by sdba069
    I would be concerned though that you would probably end up with more up nozzle than you would want trying to modify the one you have. Actually, way more. Remember that there is 7 to 8 degrees up in it already.
    How much up is built into a short droop Gary? What we were thinking about doing is just copying a short droop. The guy who owns the boat is a VERY skilled exotic materials welder and he can easily do the job. He just thought it would save him a little cash if he modified the long droop.

Squirtin Thunder
    The ATJ straight snoot has been tried on this boat and it didn't like it no matter what we did set up wise. We wedged it everywhich way and the boat still ran better with the droop even though it is dragging.
    How much up is built into a short droop Gary? What we were thinking about doing is just copying a short droop. The guy who owns the boat is a VERY skilled exotic materials welder and he can easily do the job. He just thought it would save him a little cash if he modified the long droop.
    The short droop has 3.5* up !!

DeputyDawg
    Thanks Jim. How are you doing? I read what happened to you and it scared the sh*t out of me. I am so glad you had the right people around you and everything turned out okay. Hopefully it was just a fluke deal that was caused by all the stress you were under. I am firmly convinced that stress will be the death of half of us. Good job making to and competing in the race. It sucks about the cam but at least you went out there and gave it hell. Go get em' next time!

I say go for it,drag racer guys section and re-weld droops all the time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast