Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jpc calculator....How accurate is it?????

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Ok heres the deal. I went out yesterday and ran my boat with a fresh pump and different impeller. I was spinning a bronze "A" impeller to 5100 rpm's. I looked at my gps and it read 81.7 mph. I was shocked on how fast I was running with full tanks of fuel. My last speed before the rebuild was 74.9 with a tore up berkley "b" aluminum impeller. When I plug in my numbers in the jpc it shows the following.
    with a agressor bronze "ab" @ 5100 =458hp
    with a american turbine bronze "ab" @5100 = 386hp
    I know for a fact that I have way more than 386 hores Any ideas????? I am going to cut my impeller down some more to a "B" cut to get my r's up so I can spinn the r's where my motor makes the most hp.

SmokinLowriderSS
    As far as I understand, all JP Calk really has is the impeller cut RPM/HP charts electronically accessed. That and a calculation of speed relative to RPM per cut. It should be as accurate as any of the impeller charts. I'm waiting to see LVJetboy chime in on it tho as it is his program.
    It seems to be right on in my case. My engine is turning about 350 HP accordign to Desktop Dyno ( I have tried to be as accurate as possible with it) and the RPM I am spinning my berk "A" fits 349HP, 4800 RPM. I will see what next spring brings as my headers should put me right at 400HP and 5,000 RPM.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Anyone??? I know I have waaayyy more hp than 380 A 12.5-1 compression motor better have more hp than 380

Michael, the JPC is telling you what HP you have at 5100 rpm not necessarily what your peak HP is.
    Why are you referencing two different AB cut impellers if you have an A ?

steelcomp
    Michael, what are you basing what you're saying on??? Why do you think you have more than that? JPC is accurate. You may have way more HP than that, but appearantly not at 5100. Big cams, high compression, tunnel rams, etc. all don't automatically make HP unless carefully matched combinations. If you have the wronmg cam for your combination, you could be giving up 100+ hp, and building the hp you do have at an unusable level.

cyclone
    are you sure your tach is accurate?
    I think the jpc is a good tuning tool but i wouldnt rely on it as the absolute on how much power your engine is making.
    81 mph is pretty damn good. i wouldnt worry about what the computer says. if you are happy thats all that matters.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Michael, the JPC is telling you what HP you have at 5100 rpm not necessarily what your peak HP is.
    Why are you referencing two different AB cut impellers if you have an A ?
    I am just throwing out ideas. I have a bronze "ab" cut impeller and I dont know what brand it is.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Michael, what are you basing what you're saying on??? Why do you think you have more than that? JPC is accurate. You may have way more HP than that, but appearantly not at 5100. Big cams, high compression, tunnel rams, etc. all don't automatically make HP unless carefully matched combinations. If you have the wronmg cam for your combination, you could be giving up 100+ hp, and building the hp you do have at an unusable level.
    Very true. My boat pulls real hard and runs great but when I get to 5100 r's @ 81.7mph it feels like it wants more but the impeller is restricting it. I am going to cut it to a "b" cut and bring up the r's. The only thing is that I dont know if I really want to go any faster than that My motor was built to spin between 5900 and 6100. My mill is similar you your scott. Im not saying identical but very similar. 12.5-1 comp,258@.050,108 lobe,solid lifter,tunnel ram,holley 750's, ported iron heads. I know I need more r's but damn, this boat is getting scary fast really quick.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    are you sure your tach is accurate?
    I think the jpc is a good tuning tool but i wouldnt rely on it as the absolute on how much power your engine is making.
    yup, All of my guages are new.
    i wouldnt worry about what the computer says. if you are happy thats all that matters.
    I am happy But its getting faster and faster everytime I change something. The only bad thing is, how much speed can this kachina handle?? I sure and the heck dont know. Mike, are you going to firebird this year for the finals?? If so I would like to se your boat and meet you in person

DeputyDawg
    originally posted by 306_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    My mill is similar you your scott. Im not saying identical but very similar. 12.5-1 comp,258@.050,108 lobe,solid lifter,tunnel ram,holley 750's, ported iron heads. I know I need more r's but damn, this boat is getting scary fast really quick.
    Um, do you have any idea just how different your motor actually is than steelcomps? Other than the fact that they are both Chevys they are night and day different. I am in no way knocking your motor, and 80+ is hauling ass in a jet like yours. Do the leading edges of the front side of your impeller blades come all the way out to the lip? If they do it is probably an Aggressor. I don't have any experience with Aggressor impellers but Duane at HTP told me that the the blades on them go all the way to the lip. Nice boat by the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast