Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: amp locations

kcvega
    When mounting amps in the engine compartment how much do you worry about them getting wet or having moisture on them? My engine compartment gets a little wet inside. Water can run down the side of the sunpad and drip in there.

WET HULL
    I have two of my amps in the engine compartment. They are mounted so that no water can get on them. I had two covers made for them to use when I clean the comparartment. I dont worry about heat on these because they are dedicated to the speakers under my engine hatch and are only on when my hatch is open, boat turned off. If running for long periods of time with the hatch closed I would put a fan running accross them, and mount them as far away from the engine as possible. What kind of amps? Some are better then most for keeping cool.

kcvega
    I ended up getting 2 Power Acoustik amps, one is a class D sub amp. How hot does it really get in there I wonder? My engine compartment is huge. The only other good spot to put them is in an enclosed storage compartment in the midcabin. It has a door on it but I would think they'd get pretty hot in there too.

phebus
    Go with the mid-cabin compartment, and install some fans. It will be cooler and dryer, and your amps will love you for it.

WET HULL
    The mid cabin is ideal with the use of some fans. RV, computer, whichever, but it is a must. Still gets very hot in a sealed area. The engine compartment isnt all the bad for when you are running because of the vents in the back. When you are moving the hot air is being forced out of those vents keeping the compartment cool. Still use fans for when you are parked. Those amps unless they have built in fans will get hot. Good luck

kcvega
    Ok midcabin it is. I'll need to hook up some fans to em. Thanks.

phebus
    As hot as it is where we all boat, a few degrees of difference in cabin temperature is not going to make any difference. As long as they have some room to breathe and maybe a little ventilation, one spot is as good as another. As far as getting wet, that's a no no. I have mine mounted between my engines, but I've never seen a single drop of water back there.
    Your DOOOOMED now :rollside:

Havasu Hangin'
    The engine compartment is hotter than the cabin. The lack of ventilation is one reason boats are so hard on alternators, too. If you mount them in the engine compartment with fans, it will just recirculate hot air- in the cabin, the air can get out and fresh air in.
    Although no water gets on the amps, the water in the bilge will raise the humidity levels. Ever see what happens to non-stainless screws in the bilge?
    I would do the extra work to put them in the cabin if you plan on keeping the boat, but that's just me.

Jesster
    Wouldn't a couple fans in the engine compartment, say push pull at the vent locations or even just one, pushing or pulling, solve the engine compartment heat problem? You could even duct it right over the amps.
    Granted it would be more work than putting them mid cabin if there is room, but it would be an option. The moisture problem would still be a concern though.

rivercrazy
    IMHO - amps in the engine bay is a big no-no. Engine heat, humidity, fuel vapors, and a possible burst engine water hose will take a toll on em.
    Go with the mid cabin. Running wire is pretty easy. Mounting amps in the engine bay is just lazy and the time saved running wire one time ain't worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast