Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: how much trouble would I get in????

doesitfloat?
    If your just in the mood for argueing...I'm all over it!
    and actually I DID answer your question! Maybe not directley with a : see subsection bladda bladda bladda of the Municipality code for floods"
    I'm not up on the "codes" or Laws governing "emergency actions regarding dwellings" but.. up here it's Protect your property!, we got flooded out bad this summer. I was actually stranded for 10 days. Typically your not "allowed by LAW to disturb rivers, creeks, etc... due to silt disturbance! ( and thats a big ...and I mean big! freakin fine!!!) BUT when the water rose 6 feet at the river bank and threatened my inlaws property, we grabbed the D-7, the Hoe's and a gravel truck..and pushed, hauled in rock and forced the river back! When all was said and done and the property was not lost ..We called in fish and wild life, forestry and the municipality head to either approve what we did or penalize us..and were told " you have the right to protect your property! end of story.
    By the time you would have applied for your permits. asked permission yada yada yada, 5 million would have been washed away!
    I would have done exactly the same as you in that situation. It made sense. Move a bunch of earth, stop the water, and, if necessary, move it back when you can. No biggeee. But that was manipulating some property to save some other property. Again, made sense.
    Yellowboat's situation is different. In an effort to save his ONE house from flooding...which will probably be a moot point since the storms keep coming...he is talking about jeopardizing the waste water system. What if (hypothetical) he and say 5 others did the same drain trick and this caused 100 homes' waste water systems to back up...causing them damage they otherwise wouldn't have incurred? Or it caused flooding at the waste water treatment plants? This is one of the reasons that the sewer and waste water systems are seperate.
    I never said anything about permits, you did.
    Based on your above story, I can now see why you mentioned the right to protect your property. It makes sense in that case. But I don't think that right allows you to put others or facilities at risk because of your home.

doesitfloat?
    Your question was stupid. Here's one for you.
    You're telling us that you would let your house flood while you waited until Monday or Tuesday to go pull a permit?
    To the OP:
    PUMP IT
    Permits? PERMITS? WTF are you talking about? I never said a word about permits.
    I just wanted to know what gives the owner the "right" to break laws or codes and jeapordize others to save himself? What's so "stupid" about that?
    Let's say a big fire is threatening a valley of homes. Joe Blow decides that he has the right to protect his home. So he burns down the homes around him to provide a firebreak for his house. I know it's a crazy, extreme example but it is similar to jeopardizing the waste water system of hundreds or thousands.

YeLLowBoaT
    Well I ended up getting lucky. It stoped raining and with in about 2 hr the Rain water system I have took care of it... in a 12 hr period we had almost 3.5" of rain.... this pic might help explain the prob I had.
    It does not look like it in the pic but the drive way slopes back about 3-4" every foot.
    [/IMG]http://images5.theimagehosting.com/boat1.jpeg (http://www.theimagehosting.com)
    The water was up to about the expantion joint and right at about the hubs on the trailer...

doesitfloat?
    Congrats...I've dealt with a flood and two fires. No fun with or w/o insurance. Now that you know Sac will only provide 5 sandbags, maybe it's time for a big pile of sand in the back? If you have kids, they could play in it and when needed, there's your bags. Just a thought.

mike37
    Well I ended up getting lucky. It stoped raining and with in about 2 hr the Rain water system I have took care of it... in a 12 hr period we had almost 3.5" of rain.... this pic might help explain the prob I had.
    It does not look like it in the pic but the drive way slopes back about 3-4" every foot.
    [/IMG]http://images5.theimagehosting.com/boat1.jpeg (http://www.theimagehosting.com)
    The water was up to about the expantion joint and right at about the hubs on the trailer...
    sounds to me like you have a storm drain great that is getting clogged with leave and trash in your neighborhood
    around hear the city will go around before a storm and lift all the greats out and put the flashing road work barriers over them that way all the trash and leaves don't block up the drains and couse the probles you are having
    it wouldent hurt to go look for any drains that have greats on them and ask the city to be shure they are clean befor a storm

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123