Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9 years for 4 boating deaths

JB in so cal
    Wednesday, May 10, 2006
    Anaheim man sentenced to 9 years in boating deaths
    Scott Eickhoff guilty in Colorado River accident.
    By JOHN McDONALD
    The Orange County Register
    An Anaheim man was sentenced to nine years in prison Tuesday after pleading guilty in Needles to operating a boat while drunk in an accident that took four lives.
    Scott Eickhoff, 31, of Anaheim Hills pleaded guilty to one count of vehicular manslaughter in the case, which stems from a Labor Day weekend accident in 2004. Eickhoff's 1998 23-foot Renegade runabout slammed into a concrete railroad bridge support at more than 35 mph, spilling eight adults into the Colorado River.
    Among the dead was Dale Baldwin, 35, of Huntington Beach, who was once a professional bungee instructor and taught disabled people how to ski. The others who died were Rorey McMahon, 28, of Redlands; his brother Ryan McMahon of Mohave Valley, Ariz.; and Jennifer Lee Knight, 24, of Corona.
    Eickhoff was uninjured and the three others survived the crash.
    Deputy San Bernardino District Attorney David Varman said that Eickhoff pleaded no contest to the charge before a preliminary hearing was held. Baldwin's father came from Arkansas to address the court at sentencing but did not criticize the plea, said Varman.
    Eickhoff was given until Aug. 4 to surrender to begin serving his sentence. He could be released after about and 4 ½ years if he earns good behavior and work credits, Varman said.

Huckleberry
    I remember seeing the pics of that crash. It was real ugly. If I remember correctly, several friends of the driver signed up and came on here defending him, saying he was not drunk and to not be so quick to judge him. Seems those who did were correct...This time. It sucks he only got nine years and will be out in about four! So the value of aeach person's life is about one year. Doesn't seem right.

Squirtin Thunder
    I was wondering what happend with that.
    Some may say that, that is a light sentance, but he will have to live with it for the rest of his life, Life Sentance.

JB in so cal
    I remember seeing the pics of that crash. It was real ugly. If I remember correctly, several friends of the driver signed up and came on here defending him, saying he was not drunk and to not be so quick to judge him. Seems those who did were correct...This time. It sucks he only got nine years and will be out in about four! So the value of aeach person's life is about one year. Doesn't seem right.
    Your point goes a long way when you look at how much the Stage Manager at that White Snake fire in RI got...4 years for manslaughter; 100 people died.

JB in so cal
    How did he bridge embrakement? Was he drunk or sober? Is there a link to the story or anybody know what happened?
    do a search on here using his name...

Huckleberry
    BB,
    I put the original thread back up top. Seem the pics of the crashed boat were deleted though.
    JB,
    You're right. That truly does suck for those who lost one of those 100 people. I don't even want to do the math to figure out how many DAYS each life was worth in that mess.

Squirtin Thunder
    do a search on here using his name...
    http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showt...7&page=1&pp=25

topless
    I remember the story. Weren't they all drunk? I know it was a very irresponsible decision to take people out in the boat after drinking all night BUT who here hasn't been there and done that? I myself haven't but many here have and to judge this guy is wrong in my opinion. The courts already have and he has to live for the rest of his life knowing his behavior killed people. I couldn't live with myself knowing I took someones life. I witnessed a drunk driver run into a telephone pole a few years ago right in front of my house. He killed his best friend who also was drunk and the passenger. He got out of his vehicle and kept saying " I killed my best friend" over and over as he was crying. I still cry sometimes when I think about it. Not just for the passenger but for the guilt that this guy has to live the rest of his life with.
    God be with Scott and the victims families of this tragedy.

Squirtin Thunder
    I remember the story. Weren't they all drunk? I know it was a very irresponsible decision to take people out in the boat after drinking all night BUT who here hasn't been there and done that? I myself haven't but many here have and to judge this guy is wrong in my opinion. The courts already have and he has to live for the rest of his life knowing his behavior killed people. I couldn't live with myself knowing I took someones life. I witnessed a drunk driver run into a telephone pole a few years ago right in front of my house. He killed his best friend who also was drunk and the passenger. He got out of his vehicle and kept saying " I killed my best friend" over and over as he was crying. I still cry sometimes when I think about it. Not just for the passenger but for the guilt that this guy has to live the rest of his life with.
    God be with Scott and the victims families of this tragedy.
    A+ very nice post !!!

Mrs.Racer277
    Atleast he pleaded guilty and did not try to prolong this like others would.
    Scott has had to deal with his guilt since the evening this has happened. Very sad.
    Dale's friends just threw a B-day party for him to celebrate the life he lived.
    My heart goes out to all involved.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast