Thread: Need to speak to...

Advantage Adam
    Someone who will give me a straight answer on stereo installation. I have a chevy Crew cab. I am interested in installing 2 10" woofers,amp and a ipod connection, while keeping my stock, non xm, head unit.
    I went to a shop where they built me a box, but suggested only running 1 10" woofer do to a lack of air space. I said fine and moved forward.
    All I want to accomplish is more bass with everything else stock. After it was installed, the person informed me that if I wanted "optimal sound" out of the woofer, I would need to buy a after market head unit, or a JL adaptor that overrides the factory head unit settings.
    My question is this, do I need to invest in the additional hardware or can I accomplish my goal with harware listed above.
    Thanks
    Adam

Get415
    i have a crew cab and put (4) 10's behind the rear seat, with everything else stock. i have the stock Bose stereo so its sounds pretty good. i am no expert but dont see why you need to change/ add anyhting else...good luck

Get415
    the big question is are you happy with the way it sounds now...thats what counts, not all this "optimal" crap

sigepmock
    I've got an 05 Crew Cab with 2 12's under the rear seat....I had 2 10's in my last crew cab. I left everything else stock and used line level converters to feed the sub amp. It sounded fine. I just recently upgraded the door speakers and added an additional amp to feed those but left the stock head unit alone. This time I bought a PAC GM adaptor that pulls RCA's from the back of the stock head unit....the sound quality is better than just the line level converter but I only notice it because of the better quality speakers. If you like the sound leave it alone. The one thing I would recomend is a remote bass control knob so you can adjust the bass level for different kind of music's with having to adjust the head unit each time but that's just an extra bell and Whistle.
    Like was said above, do you like the sound quality as is?
    Chris

Advantage Adam
    the big question is are you happy with the way it sounds now...thats what counts, not all this "optimal" crap
    No. It sounds the same.

h2oski2fast
    What year truck?

sigepmock
    No. It sounds the same.
    What sub and amp did they run? Where did they get the leads for the sub? What are the gains on the amp set at? There's a hunderd different possibilites that could all make the difference. I'd take it to a different shop like Al&Ed's in Ontario or Wired For Sound in Temecula. Both those guys know there stuff and can get the most out of what you alread have or fix/replace what was done wrong. The two 10's I had in my 03 Crew cab would shake the mirrors enough that you couldn't see out of them. The new systems is so loud it hurts my ears at 3/4 volume. Al & Ed's did all the work and it looks as good as it sounds. Talk to Dave or Dallas 909-481-8411.
    Just my$.02,
    Chris

koyota93
    I have an 05 Crew Cab and I am gonna do a system in a few months. IMO a headunit makes a pretty big difference in sound. In my last truck I had a crappy Kenwood deck, then I swapped it out for a Eclipse headunit with pre-out of 8-9 volts. The difference in clarity and sound was very noticeable. I kinda don't wanna change my headunit in the crewcab because I like the steering wheel controls too much, but I have to admit that "optimal sound" is achieved with a head unit.