Thread: HOW much power can a 6JA handle

searaider13
    Please help me how much power can a 6 ja handle and are parts avalable for them or still even made. I have access to one but dont wether I can use it or not. I plan on running a 2.2 dodge turbo motor with about 175-250 horse 13 ft small 2-4 pass fiberglass.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Who makes a 6JA? What you want to put it in?

bigkatboat
    I built some 12' boats with it back in the 1980's. (Hot Boat cover in 1989) We always put a "Scat Trac" stainless impeller in it. The 'fence post auger impeller' is worthless! You need to keep the boat (gross weight) VERY LIGHT, like a motor cycle engine rather than a (heavy) car motor. The '6J' would just 'almost' stay up with a Subaru carb'ed motor back then, and would not hold a single carb'ed Mazda rotor. We used a motor named "The A M W" it was 2 stroke and very loud, 425 CC's and very light weight. Even with the SS impeller the pump liked 6500/7500 RPMs. (aprox. 41 MPH) How about building your 'own design' with a prop, V- drive, belt drive, direct drive? I think the 6J is a waste of your time and money. We did build one of our boats with a Mazda motor, and an 'E' pump Berkeley. Cut the impeller to a c- and ran a Place Diverter, it was a blast. Wanted to put a turbo on it, but the owner ran out of money. 12' 2" boat, aprox. 600lbs (dry), aprox. 200 HP @ 7500 RPMs = BIG GRIN ! Good luck, you'll need it!

SmokinLowriderSS
    Cool experience bigkat. :smile:
    I never heard of a 6J jet pump and (for once) was unable to find anything on the net refering to them. Sometimes old ideas need to be allowed to die out.