Thread: New Orleans Aftermath...

Riverkid
    My sister got a wild hair and decided to go volunteer for the humane society to aid the animal victims of Katrina. She was there for a week, where they shipped her down to the "Mutt Hut" in New Orleans. The kennel was located directly across from the broken levy area. FEMA brought in barges with mobile homes on them to house the volunteers. They pulled all the furniture and just threw in bunk beds (floating barracks)... 24 women in each mobile.
    They had a food barge there tied alongside where they fed everybody fish and gumbo three times a day (they only ate b-fast and dinner). Had the Nat'l Guard guys around (54 women down there at the kennel, gee I wonder why???) who came by and walked all the big dogs for them, etc.
    Pretty wild as the NG would provide addresses where animals were spotted and the volunteers would then go out and try to catch the animals (dogs, cats, even the goldfish). Lots of stories there. I think my sis wanted to bring a chow home with her, since she chased the focker for 6 blocks before she caught him!
    Would have never even thought about this without hearing about her trip. She got home at 1 this morning, safe and sound but wore out. Not my idea of a "vacation" but I've got to give her respect for going there and doing what she could to help...

crf311
    You should try living this nightmare. I am. Man it's bad down here. I mean My house had 8 ft of water everything downstairs distroyed. It's 100X worst than you see on the TV.

RiverDave
    You should try living this nightmare. I am. Man it's bad down here. I mean My house had 8 ft of water everything downstairs distroyed. It's 100X worst than you see on the TV.
    I'm sorry to hear about that.
    RiverKid, two thumbs up to your sister for going out there to help!
    RD