Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Identity Theft

Tinkerer
    You want to know how I sign the back of my credit cards.
    CHECK ID
    Then if the store doesn't check for my ID they it is their loss.
    Someone steals my card and ID it's not likely they will look anything like my mug.

my21advantage
    Forgery, Fraud, Identity Theft...take your pick
    I have no sympathy for people like them

Old Texan
    Sounds like 1 count of theft and 1 of theft plus fraud. Press charges and hope they get hung out to dry. Card company will press charges and seek redemption.
    I'd advise your mother getting a lawyer involved to protect her interests and credit. Don't leave your interests up to the card compny or LE.

wantacat
    It's Identity theft and account takeover. The credit companies will investigate the charges and take them off. Its sad, but always most common with family members than lets say, a stranger. Have her get a credit report from all three companies and look over to see if any other accounts were open with her ss#. The credit report is free as long as she states that she is a victim of Identity Theft. She will also need to file a police report and forward that to all 3 credit compaines as well (transusion,experian,equifax). To prevent this from happening in the future, tell her to add a fraud alert to her credit report. That way they will need to contact her and verify all information before any new accts are opened.

BADASS38CHEVY
    Sounds like a tweeker move to me.

IN2-IN2MX
    Oh, steal from your own mom! :crossx: WTF! How low can they be! :220v:

H20Advantage
    Have mom file an ID Theft report with the locals and have them forward it to the local PD in Kansas. Also contact the Postal Inspector and file a report since they applied for the credit card through the mail.
    Make sure she has all the backup documents and personal info and address for the suspect(s).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12