Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merc 300 pro max questions

toto
    Hi guy's. I have been a jet boat owner for many of years and now I think it is time for an outboard. I have a quick question about the merc 300 pro max. What kind of maintance is involved on a yearly basis and how many hours do you get out of a motor before rebuild. Thanks ahead of time for any one that can help me.

riverbound
    I take my boat to Al Stoker once a year. on average costs about $300-$500.
    The boat has recieved this treatment since new ('95) the only other thing that has been done is the headsd were upgraded to the second effort heads.
    Its not a 300 promax. but outboards in general are VERY reliable. Anddont require the maintainence that a car motor in a boat does.

Squirtin Thunder
    Bill your boat would be faster with the lighter Merc on it wouldn't it ???

riverbound
    I honestly dont know. I know that's what Al put on it and no one knows these boats better than him. Once he tells me to change it I will

sxpilot
    I thought the same thing until last weekend I had 4 people and full fuel and my V8 pulled us to 83mph and was still going...the torque on these V8's are amazing...
    Im curious what a merc 2.5 260 will push this boat...?

HavasuBarney
    I thought the same thing until last weekend I had 4 people and full fuel and my V8 pulled us to 83mph and was still going...the torque on these V8's are amazing...
    If the boat is LIGHT, which most Eliminators are not, you can set it up to run around 100 with a 2.5 but that is a very rare boat indeed. Low fuel and 1 small person.
    I had a regular 300 promax on one of my 21 Liberators, lots of power, great all around motor, purred like a kitten at idle. Just not a big top end due to the limiter at 6000 and gears too tall to spin a big wheel. Slightly faster than any Rude V-8 you would see though.
    Change your gearcase oil every season, new plugs and go.
    I had close to 400 hours on mine when I sold it and I know it's still running strong.

sxpilot
    If the boat is LIGHT, which most Eliminators are not, you can set it up to run around 100 with a 2.5 but that is a very rare boat indeed. Low fuel and 1 small person.
    I had a regular 300 promax on one of my 21 Liberators, lots of power, great all around motor, purred like a kitten at idle. Just not a big top end due to the limiter at 6000 and gears too tall to spin a big wheel. Slightly faster than any Rude V-8 you would see though.
    Change your gearcase oil every season, new plugs and go.
    I had close to 400 hours on mine when I sold it and I know it's still running strong.

Good info, last Sunday I did a 90mph run with 1/2 fuel and 2 people for over 3 miles and held it wide open from the springs to the channel but still it wouldnt pop...
    6350rpm with the SRX 29p at 90gps, not the fastest but I am sure enjoying this thing...
    I have a Merc 2.5 260 Efi with the Off shore mid and sportmaster lower-small shaft...just waiting for the right moment to re-rig...
    This boat is an 88 and built in Wi, so I dont exactly know the layup..or weight...
    This weekend I will solo it in the am with my new prop low fuel and see what I can do...

toto
    Good morning Barney. Have you seen the 21 liberator for sale at Magic Power boats. I saw it was a Havasu boat and didn't know if you knew about the boat. That is why I started this thread. It has overr 330 hrs. on it and was just wondering rebuild time problems etc. Thank you Sir.

riverbound
    I dont think a 2.5 will push my boat. Im gonna play around a little with props... I know mine is wrong. I ahe a 24 on it right now and it gets out of the whole great just lacks ALOT of top end. But the torque is pretty amazing for these motors.

sxpilot
    I tried a 24, too high rpm for my engine good hole shot and exel, the 26 is a nice all around, the 29p I have gets out of the hole slow but is a great cruzer prop and top end is fast, the maz 30p is too big for my engine handles like crap..
    Next I will buy a Merc Chopper2 26p and mod it like a et, I dont want anymore than 6800rpm though..
    Guys are telling me the Bravo 26p? 4 blade
    I also have a High Five 23p, this thing is sick quick but top end is slow...good ski prop...
    Im happy with my 29p nice bow life and great exeleration from 30, like i sad for being a big turd of an engine its pretty fast and safe...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast