Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rocks in pump GRRR!

maxwedge
    So I finallly got out to the lake to try my new GPS Sat. Its goes about 10.7 MPH @ 2000 RPM, before the really bad vibration starts. My gifted brother, in an attempt to beach the boat "just a little farther", gave it a huge burst of throttle with the intake just inches above these rocks. These two were still clinging to what's left of the impellor after we idled back 7 miles to the boat ramp and trailered 30 miles home. Judging by the number of rocks I heard hitting the backside of the pump from 50 feet away on the shore, I'd guess there are a few in the bowl side as well. My brother seems to think that all the nicks, and the large chunk now missing from this impellor can be fixed. I say he owes me a new one. What do you guys think?
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...or_004-med.jpg

1978 Rogers
    How close are you and your brother. They can only be re-sharpened a couple times. I say new impeller. If he likes driving on the rocks, go stainless and put the rock grate back on.
    I don't start mine is shallow water because of this. Some will say its no big deal, its a jet, what can happen? The picture you posted is what can happen. Good luck.

1978 Rogers
    Also, instead of beaching on a rock shore. Invest in an anchor. This will save on the hull from banging on the rocks.

79Challenger
    I wonder... how do the shallow water aluminum guys keep the rocks out. I have a grate, but the fins are all one direction and are atleast an 1 1/2 apart. I won't usually start the boat unless the water is 3' or more. Even then it really should be a sandy bottom.

maxwedge
    How close are you and your brother. They can only be re-sharpened a couple times. I say new impeller. If he likes driving on the rocks, go stainless and put the rock grate back on.
    I don't start mine is shallow water because of this. Some will say its no big deal, its a jet, what can happen? The picture you posted is what can happen. Good luck.
    Yeah Umm...I used to like him ok, but he lives 300miles away and I won't see him again until christmas, so a good ass kicking is not out of the question. LOL.
    I know the nicks can be filed out, it's the large chuck missing near the shaft on the one blade that has me concerned. Sombody told me to use JB weld epoxy and then file it to shape. Said it worked on their Jet Ski. Has anyone tried this?

maxwedge
    I have a grate on this boat too, but it's way bigger than these rocks. To give my brother some credit, it looked deeper than it was, and it's mostly mud with a few rocks mixed in.

hack job
    i would not jb weld it. that could come off at speed and go through the pump
    i would invest in a new impellor and keep your brother away from the boat. just my .02 no jb weld.

H2OT TIMES
    I would get a new one. If your brother didn't know better I'd forgive and forget. If he knew better I'd ask him to pay for it.

maxwedge
    I would get a new one. If your brother didn't know better I'd forgive and forget. If he knew better I'd ask him to pay for it.
    Oh yeah...He damn well should have known better. He's been around boats for 20+ years. Just that he knows it's not his, so he dosn't really care as much. Of course, I have no love for his wacker powered bass boat, but I wouldn't try to run it up on the shore with the motor either.

1978 Rogers
    Oh yeah...He damn well should have known better. He's been around boats for 20+ years. Just that he knows it's not his, so he dosn't really care as much. Of course, I have no love for his wacker powered bass boat, but I wouldn't try to run it up on the shore with the motor either.
    If this is the case, have him get you a new impeller or you could beach his boat next time. "Oh crap, I forgot to raise the drive. Sorry bro."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast