Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: "Marine" parts vs. cheaper ones

Ty, A puke tank would defeat the whole purpose introducing fuel vapor back into the air just like the fuel pump would without a hose connected, even though it would be in a different location...no advantage.
    The positive to the flame arrester method is also that there is "slight" neg pressure created by air flow which tends to suck any fuel leakage that might be present back into the carb rather than relying on just flow under zero pressure.
    Like Alan says, I'm sure many thousands of dollars have been spent designing the best method of accomplishing how to handle this fuel problem by those agencies so we're beating a dead horse here trying to circumvent their really very simple method of dumping it back into the flame arrester which works very efficiently and solves the problem. Just my .02

Hotcrusader76
    Rexone:
    Ty, A puke tank would defeat the whole purpose introducing fuel vapor back into the air just like the fuel pump would without a hose connected, even though it would be in a different location...no advantage.
    The positive to the flame arrester method is also that there is "slight" neg pressure created by air flow which tends to suck any fuel leakage that might be present back into the carb rather than relying on just flow under zero pressure.
    Like Alan says, I'm sure many thousands of dollars have been spent designing the best method of accomplishing how to handle this fuel problem by those agencies so we're beating a dead horse here trying to circumvent their really very simple method of dumping it back into the flame arrester which works very efficiently and solves the problem. Just my .02I completely agree with you Mike! Why re-invent the wheel?

1stepcloser
    The Carter carbs that Mercruiser used to run (prior to fuel injection) all had the fuel pump overflow routed to a port that ran into the venturi. This is the ideal spot for raw fuel to go. I would think that if it is plumbed into the bottom of the air cleaner housing fuel could puddle, and if allowed to continue, eventually leak past the air filter onto the manifold. Even if it stayed contained within the air cleaner, it would still not be a safe situation. This is just my thoughts though...
    [ August 19, 2002, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: 1stepcloser ]

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456